Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: muckspunges --> need some help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hmm... I think I may need some directing/help.... this is about my sad excuses of muckspunges
alright... I began these awhile ago... but since I am inexperienced with 3D modelling.. I don't know what/how to do with them...
right now they are just bare models... poor ones, but I am not good at 3DS-max and not good at modelling in general
however, I don't think muckspunge are too complicated, and simpler models with awesome skins should be best....

the way I see it, muckspunge are like sea-sponges except adapted to land and fill a plant-niche in the ecosystem... they have a shallow root whicch is decievingly uselss. However the shallow root actually sucks minerals out of the dirt, and returns some, and ever recycling food. Muck is released on occasion especially the older the spunge is or the more hospitable the environment. Local animals will sometimes drink/eat out of muckspunges, such as migrant cliffracers, these are of course driven off by farmers.
Because of occasional storms, the muckspunge could potentially get ripped up as it is tossed about the coasts of the West Gash. However, the spongy body, and the shallow root allow it to be uproted in one piece and tossed into a new environment. The sponginess actually can allow it to bulgue more with the onset of a storm, wedging it into the soil.
Dunmer farmers use muck shovels to get the muck which is potentially very useful if treated properly. Raw muck, a mixture of acids and dirts and rotted material is somewhat toxic.

pics of TES3's muckspunges:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
pics of my proto-muckspunges:
mucky 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

so what can I do... I am not very good... but if you guys can tell me what the next step is... I'll try my best...
if blender turns out to be easier to use I MIGHT use it... but right now it is 3ds... plus I think 3ds is more compatible with TES3 or TES4?

maybe a good way to start is to explain the terms a bit... I am not good at knowing them... like:
"bump mapping" and "textures" and stuff... sometimes I think I know, sometimes I'm not sure
Don't bother with Blender if you have access to 3D Studio Max. :yes:
1) Bethesda chose it as their tool to develop the worlds of Morrowind and Oblivion.
2) Because of that, it's perfectly suited for working with Oblivion models and the first exporters that will become available will be for that program. If exporters for other programs become available at all depends on the community.
3) I'm the first to admit it has a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of navigating around the scene and other basic stuff it's really fluid to work in.
4) It's potential is unlimited. In theory you really could create "Finding Nemo II" in it, so the skills you learn in it is very likely to be beneficial in the future regardless of where the journey takes you.

Have you checked out the free video tutorials on simplymax.com? They're the best start a new Max user can get (without paying).

Other than that I guess my best tip would be to do the mucksponge like I did the last version of the emperor parasol; to check out the mesh in wireframe mode in the CS and determine what primitives could be used to be rebuild it, then draw out the primitives more or less roughly, 'attach' the meshes to each other as needed and tweak them until they look like they should. I should say though that it took me over half a year to get where I am now (which still isn't very far), so don't be surprised if it doesn't come together right away.

Good luck! Smile
An excellent description of my own response to the muck-sponge. If you had said they are like a blend of stationary worms and coral I would think you were reading my mind. :goodjob:
thanks guys... yea, I'll go check out TES3 muckspunges and then see what I can do...
and simplymax.com, never heard of it... i have looked at max-realms.com, but I find myself saying "whoa, slow down a bit!" ...even though they are just step by step processes
do you guys know where to find a "glossary" of 3d modelling terminology?
All i can sugest is read the help files and tutorials for max there prety detailed
And as for terminolgy read the help files
Quote:Originally posted by xchaosdragon666x
All i can sugest is read the help files and tutorials for max there prety detailed
And as for terminolgy read the help files
will do, thanks for the advice
guys, realistically, what do you guys think of my models?
could they be smoother? rougher? more texture?

are they good? I know it is a simple model to make, but not for me... I am a beginner...

I need some direction as to how I should tackle this, and then more evaluation... I think this way I can improve better...

so in consideration of my lack of skill as of now and the simplicity of the model I am making... how do you guys think I am doin go this...? don't let your kindness get in the way of criticism and teaching :yes:
Lol okay i get what you mean you kinda want us to assholish in the critisim part (thats what i use to ask for when i started modeling how else are we gona improve if no one tells us what were doing wrong.

Compliment: your learning the basic's

Complaint's: Download all the free files at simplymax.com
and make every thing the do step by step

The muck sponge needs to be a lil smother and rounder at the top
Wich you could start the model over and use outline at the top before extruding the model back in or bevel it so its rounder lol or

chamfer it a few times to get in more lines

And dont worry about texture untill the model is perfect

If you want some one to critize just let me know im usaly prety honest
Quote:Originally posted by xchaosdragon666x
Lol okay i get what you mean you kinda want us to assholish in the critisim part (thats what i use to ask for when i started modeling how else are we gona improve if no one tells us what were doing wrong.

Compliment: your learning the basic's

Complaint's: Download all the free files at simplymax.com
and make every thing the do step by step

The muck sponge needs to be a lil smother and rounder at the top
Wich you could start the model over and use outline at the top before extruding the model back in or bevel it so its rounder lol or

chamfer it a few times to get in more lines

And dont worry about texture untill the model is perfect

If you want some one to critize just let me know im usaly prety honest

thank you very much.... now I go to step 1...
1. learn how to better model
2. practice and perfect muckspunge
3. start learning texture
4. other stuff
5. more models!
:cheers: