Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Dozent's "BlackMarsh Survival Handbook"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I decided to make a tutorial "How to survive in the Marshes" using the "SAS Survival" by John Wiseman as an example, I will be updating this one as I thik out something new....
Feel free to add some corrections...

The BlackMarsh Survival handbook, Part I
By DoZeNt

Introduction:

[1ST]T[/1ST]he "Survival Handbook" series are written by me, DoZeNt, after I got stuck in the Deep and the dark swamps of BlackMarsh, with two septims in my pocket, a lock pick, some torn clothes and a dagger, it may sound interesting for some adventurers, but it isn’t much fun when you face a situation like that in life… Still, I survived. I survived, to pass my knowledge to others. You must be prepared to deal with collisions and natural disasters. You must now how to deal with injuries and how to keep fit. Swamps, Jungles, plains and even deserts offer you some kind of support, you must know how to accept it…

Chapter 1: Planning your journey

First, you must think out your plans in detail. Make sure that you are fit enough for what you plan to do, exercise. Always think about what are you going to do if your plan doesn’t work, things rarely go quite according to it. Make an emergency plan.
You can never have too much information about a place you are going to. Contact people, who know it already, study maps…

Chapter 2: Equipment
Armed with information from your research you will be able to select your equipment, matching it to objectives and conditions. Choose clothing carefully to give good protection without overheating. Sleeping Bags are available, be sure to have one with you. You need a strong and comfortable backpack or a bag of holding to carry all your clothing and equipment, choose the very best you can afford. Grab drinks and some food, which can be held for a long time. Not wise to have a beer brewer with you, unless you are a Nord. Take a water flask and some roots or fruit. Transport, you can cover more distance with a Horse or a Guar, but there are some areas, where mounts wont help you, these can be very deep swamps, rocks or quicksands.
So be prepared to climb and to jump from tree to tree, from rock to rock. And think twice, before risking not only with your life, but with a life of an animal.
Survival kit – a list of items that you should have besides what was written above:

1) Light. Light is your guide, so make sure you have a torch or a lamp. (Mages can use Spells, but I won’t be discussing Magic in my book)
2) A weapon is needed for defending and Hunting, and for other purposes. A bow and arrows is perfect for hunting both aggressive creatures, and some animals like deers or elks. You can use a bow for light fishing, but if you want to catch a big fish, that lives in the depths, you need a small Blade or a blunt. I recommend you to take an extra dagger with you, for emergency cases.
3) A mortar and pestle, needed to make potions, if you have any other alchemical tools, you can take them.
The Medical Kit
You must have a number of Potions to keep healthy, and to recover if you catch a disease.
1) A cure Disease Potion
2) A cure Poison Potion
3) A restore Health Potion
4) A restore Fatigue Potion
5) A water breathing Potion

You can also take other potions which you consider useful.

Chapter 3: Climate & Terrain

(A map of BM with climates shown on it, WIP)

Forests
As the climate gets warmer and winters less severe, deciduous forest replaces the conifers. Oak, beech, maple, chestnut and hickory are the main species. Soil rich in humus supports many plants and fungi. Survival is not difficult.

Grassland
Mainly concentrated in Western, Eastern and north BlackMarsh. Heavy Rains and thunderstorms can be a menace, but they bring water. Grain is grown, cattle reared.

Tropical Forests
The land between the tropics includes areas of cultivation and extremes of swamp and desert, but one-third is undeveloped forest. Features high rainfall and rugged mountains and swamplands.

Deserts
Dry barren land where survival is very difficult. There are rarely any clouds to give protection from the sun or to retain heat at night.

Mountains
As you descend a mountainside it will often be difficult to se what is below you. Mainly mountains are concentrated on the border with Morrowind, and are surrounded by geysers. Very hot steam, sometimes these mountains are volcanic active.

Seashores
Most seashores offer abundant sources of food and excellent prospects for survival Even where they appear bleak and barred, there is food to be had. Coastal waters are the home of many life forms – seaweeds, fish, mollusks and other… Remember that not all sea creatures are edible and harmless…

Chapter 4 : Disasters

Flood
Flooding may be caused by the overflowing of rivers, lakes and reservoirs caused by heavy rains and tides. Find shelter, the higher the better, you can collect rainwater, but you should boil It before drinking.

Tsunami
It is a linked with an earthquake beneath the ocean, creating a series of waves which can reach more than 30m and causing a considerable amount of damage along coasts. If you feel an earthquake, or if the water from the beach suddenly disappears get sway from the coast as far and as quick as you can. It can cause Floods.

Hurricane
A hurricane is a wind of high speed which brings torrential rain and can destroy any flimsy structures. It is a tropical form of cyclone. A cave will offer the best protection. If unable to escape lie flat on the ground where you will be less of a target for the flying debris.

Tornado
Tornadoes are violent storms associated with low atmospheric pressure and whirling winds. They apparently develop when air at the surface has been warmed and a column of air descends from the base of a cumulonimbus storm clouds above. Air rushing into the low pressure area begins to rotate fiercely. If giant storm supercells are discovered, find shelter immediately. As for the hurricanes – a cave will be the best shelter.

Volcano
Active volcanoes are very rare in Tamriel, and the mountains between Cyrodiil and Morrowind have not been active for a very long time. A volcanic eruption contains lava flows, lots of debris and poisonous gas.

© DoZeNt

© John Wiseman

EDIT: Please exuse my cobblestone English
Hahaha! Lofty Wiseman has travelled the Black Marshes! He'd be so proud... =)

Just a few pointers: Try to stick to the tree names we've used for the mod. Humus works nicely but Baobab, cypress, mangrove, palms, sandbox trees, banyans, and all manner of jungle and swamp varieties would better suit BM than those mentioned.

Add Marshland. I guess you could say little other than: Avoid!

It will be fun creating a book cover for this...
Biohazard :lmao:

there are Three more Books, there will be information about Creatures, Edible and poisonous plants and mushrooms. I think I should add a point "Take a Tent"
To cut a long story short - Don't Go. Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by DoZeNt
Biohazard :lmao:

there are Three more Books, there will be information about Creatures, Edible and poisonous plants and mushrooms. I think I should add a point "Take a Tent"

Careful with these. You'll need to check out the varieties that we already have. There is also a 'flora and fauna' book that might help. I reckon we'll go with the 'shrieking bolette' creature but there's also sloth's foot, glowshrooms, grume goblets and sylvan mushrooms that we already have in the collection. If you wanted to go further then you might be able to assign properties to these flora. I was going to use the settings from OB and SI so these might come in useful. Bear in mind that they might need to be added as well once the disease scripts are in because if we combine fungi and other ingredients, they are likely to provide antidotes.
Well, It would not do much damage if I run through those again, besides I am going to be describing some Cyrodillic flora and I might think of something new to be made, retextures can do the trick
Yeah, a few more ideas wouldn't go amiss. Btw, check your signature, the word "resurrection" is spelt like that.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Yeah, a few more ideas wouldn't go amiss. Btw, check your signature, the word "resurrection" is spelt like that.

Oh, sorry
You could mention in the 'Volcano' section that one of the most well-known volcanoes in Tamriel is Red Mountain in Vvardenfell, Morrowind.
Quote:Originally posted by jucklesjenk
You could mention in the 'Volcano' section that one of the most well-known volcanoes in Tamriel is Red Mountain in Vvardenfell, Morrowind.

:eek: I didn't know that they actually exist in Tamriel ^^
Pages: 1 2