Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Faction Brainstorming Session 06 - the An-Xileel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The An-Xileel are an Argonian faction which are mentioned in the Elderscrolls novel The Infernal City. In 40 years time they will rule much of Black Marsh after having driven out the Imperials in the name of the Hist. They are extremely religious and conservative in their outlook, going so far as to persecute Argonians who they believe to be contaminated by Imperial ways.

Given that we don't know exactly when they took power, but that it seems to be fairly soon after the Empire implodes, it's dead certain that they're a major force in the Province already.

Since we don't know much about these guys, I suggest we add in some of the ideas developed by KK way back when about the reclusive tribes of the deepest Marsh.

He had an idea that the Tree-Citadel of Helstrom, the famous Lost City of Black Marsh, would be the base of operations for an organisation known as the Council of the Root. This is composed of a representative from each Argonian tribe, including the Paatru and Naga. They do not have any official power, but a lot of the trade and negotiation between tribes goes on through the Council. The members regularly commune with the Hist, and they know much of the tree-spirits' will and plans for the future. However this can make them seem extremely distant when talking to ordinary folk. The Royal Court denies that the Council of the Root even exists, dismissing it as a superstition.

I had an idea that the An-Xileel could be the servants of the Council of the Root.

Helstrom was to be sealed to outsiders, and the player would only be able to access it during the main quest by gaining the trust of the argonian tribes. As to what role this faction could play in the mod, though, we need to discuss....
Very much like an even more extremist version of the Ka'Pura then. Perhaps they might actually reside in the Hist Dimension. I was thinking about the tree idea and figured that if one of the modellers was able to scale up the SI palace tree then it would prove possible to use the model as a kind of tower. There is a hole at the bottom that would probably fit with a city gate model if scaled up sufficiently.
Picture?
Sorry, Deeza. I'm stumped for time at the moment and just breezing through the forums to do some quick moderation. If you go into the CS and navigate to the interior of Sheogorath's palace then you'll find the model behind the throne. I used it in the Hist Dimension as well...

...btw, I wrote a brief biographical piece about Lucius Constantine, the founder of the Constantinian Order that inhabits Stormhold's Cathedral. It's only a rough version and I don't have it typed up yet but part of the myth that surrounds Constantine concerns a 'perfect race' that is able to reconcile the differences between such powers as the Hist and the Divines. Lucius died, martyred to the Constantinian cause, and ever since he has been a fairly heretical figure to most Imperials of faith.

One tribe that might be particularly opposed to the Constantinians would be the An-Xileel. Whether this is because it is disrespectful to the Hist, heretical or offers a glimmer of what they regard as sacred (and secret) knowledge, is up for discussion.

I couldn't explore the full ramifications of these ideas right now as my time is short but I felt you'd like to know anyway...
Thanks. I entirely understand your being busy! Hope the stuff at work goes well for you!
I just edited my post (see above).
That's a really excellent idea, Ibsen. I look forward to seeing your book, and discussing this in more detail with you when you have the time. We could get lots of mileage out of this one...

Constantine is pretty much right, actually. The Divines and the Hist are the same kind of spirit, so are the Daedra. The difference is in their alignment to Anu (stasis) or Padomay/Sithis (change). The Divines are static, the Daedra are chaotic, and the Hist split the difference between the two. Hence they can access both Oblivion ("hell") and Aetherius ("heaven"). That's why they're located on Nirn, and the tree bridges the two (branches in the sky, collect light from Aetherius, roots reaching all the way into Oblivion).

Thought that might help you with your ideas...
Excellent! Good mythologies follow identifiable patterns. Bethesda know what they're doing and I know my myths so there's a little intuition in the coincidence. I'm looking to getting round to this but I'm still only escaping onto these forums inbetween frantic bits of last-minute work in RL. Coming here actually helps me to chill out a bit.