Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Region Generation info for Sceluk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is a guide for sceluk to work out some preset lists for the province. we need 5 main terrain types, though we can have 1-2 subtypes where the densitites of rocks and vegetation are slightly different.

Savannah/Grasslands
Most of the northern part of the province are made up if grassland/prairie/savannah. these should be mostly grasses, like on the gold coast, with some sandy areas. any vegetation larger than a shrub should be limmted to occasional thickets of trees, and perhaps the occasional lone one.

Desert/Badlands
This band of rough terrain sits mostly near the western border with Valenwood between the plains and Tenmar Forest. here there need so be a lot of rocks scrubby bushes. trees would be very rare except fo the N'kau palm, which is uncommon. use a mix os red and yellow sand textures

Jungle Coast
This needs to be largely tropical forest, palm trees and the bromeliads would work it well here. a few rocks and fallen logs would not go amiss.

Coastline
Sandy beaches with only a few large boulders for the water's edge.

Jungle Inland
Away from the sea there will be less palm tress, and slightly more temperate trees, the jungle should be pretty thick, lots of shrubs in the under story should work well. feel free to chuck in a few Mania Mushroon trees for an exotic feel

West Weald and Elsweyr Border
scrubby oaks and tall grass. in the northern side, large bushes ans long grass on the southern side

Niben Valley and Elsweyr Border
more scrubby oaks in the west, with timber trees at the crest of the hills. gradually becomes ash, cypress, oak and snow gum as you get further east.

Lower Xylo and Elsweyr Border
Deeza has infor about the Valenwood Isles preset lists. this should work well in the west gradually giving way to the Jungle Inland set as described above.

Upper Xylo/ Valenwood Elsweyr Border
Lots of oak and ginko in the west giving rise to scrubby oak and large bushes on the elsweyr side of the border

Hope this helps mate!
I'll get to work on it as soon as I finish my exams. Two days from now. Big Grin
All need:

Steppes

More barren than the Savannah/Grasslands, you'll only get the occasional rock. Only two places on the Height map that are like this, Riverhold Steppes, and Saimisil Steppes.

I'll be doing up a guide overlay on the World Map to illustratre the regions Smile
Thanks TOYB forgot about Steppes.
Quote:Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard
All need:

Steppes

More barren than the Savannah/Grasslands, you'll only get the occasional rock. Only two places on the Height map that are like this, Riverhold Steppes, and Saimisil Steppes.

if done over large areas, its going to get real boring real quick. something needs to compensate and create visual interest. varied grass comes to mind right away.
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
Quote:Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard
All need:

Steppes

if done over large areas, its going to get real boring real quick. something needs to compensate and create visual interest. varied grass comes to mind right away.

This is probably the look we want to aim for, a Steppe is meant to look barren -that's the visual interest, in it's bleakness, haunting and beautiful at the same time. The two steppes in the mod aren't that large, so it's not going to be an ongoing bore, but just enough to get the feeling of vastness (without it being vast).
You may have seen over in Elsweyr Resources that I'm putting together the new resource file - hopefully it'll be ready by the time Ja-Kha'jay finishes the heightmap! I'm trying to add some new textures for terrain and extend the rocks available.

How much do you actually need for the region gen, sceluk? I'm guessing you need any extra terrain texture and rock sets, plus all the plants and trees we plan to use. Is that it, or is there anything else? I'll try to prioritise the stuff you need since that's the next step.
morcroft, unfortunately, due to space going down on my PC, I removed Oblivion. However, I should up my storage sapce in about two months time.
To be truthful, I also though that the project was, you know, dead. Happily I was proven wrong.
Another problem, dumb as it may seem, is the blasted heat we have in my country. I can't afford to have the computer shut down in the middle of a region gen. (and unfortunately, i cannot afford to install more cooling\airconditioner)
I will be glad to region gen for you, when I get more storage space, (and get rid of th heat).
Now as for resources: Everything related to trees, rocks, bushes, terrain textures, and anything else you can think that would be lying out in the countryside in random amounts.
thanks for your understanding.
Not dead but sleeping...!

I understand about your system problems - but the overheating may not be a show-stopper. I think the latest idea is that you would construct the presets and that Deeza, who has a fast PC and a temperate climate, will run the actual generation.

I've never done region generation myself so I don't know how complex it is to create the presets. I also don't know if we have anybody else who can do that part.

I will continue to get the resource file ready and then when both that and the heightmap are ready we'll see if you're in a position to help out.

Please keep dropping in - I'm sure I'll have more questions for you!
Yeah, but I need to reinstall TESCS to create the presets. The problem is (a part from having very lttle space left on my PC), that to generate presets I have to test them.
Speaking of heightmpas, that was the real reason I never got round to doing the region gen. JKJ was going to make the new heightmap, but it never surfaced (or I didn't look hard enough, but to be truthful, i kinda lost interest when I saw no one was posting, plus having exams and all.) However, now I'll be quite happy to start region generating.
I'll trya and see if I can free up a little space on my PC.
Pages: 1 2