Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Village: Ald Tarnabye
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Official ‘High Rock' Settlement Claim:

[/HR]

AVAILABILITY: Unclaimed

[/HR]

Description & Details

[/HR]
This is an ancient Direnni settlement that's still ruled by their descendents. The population is a 5-/5- Altmer/Breton mix. The chapel is devoted to Y'ffre, the first Earthbone, god of the Trees and plants, etc, who cemented himself into the world so that it was no longer in Chaos at the creation. The manor should use the Ancient Elven furniture set.

The village is surrounded by ancient Direnni walls (it was a fortress long ago). These still need to be modelled, so stick a placeholder in for now.
[/HR]

At-a-glance Details

[/HR]

Settlement Name: Ald Tarnabye
Region: North Cape
Architecture: Shornhelm set, special walls (to be completed)
Class: Village, with ancient walls and Lord's Manor
Church: Y'ffre, elven nature god
Exterior cell coordinates: ????
Claim Size & Difficulty: Medium.
Inhabitants: 50/50 Breton/Altmer
Mission Connections: None as yet.
...this one caught my eye.
This settlement looks interesting and I've founfd it's layer on the map, so I'd like to work on it. Just a quick query, By surrounded by Direnni walls do you mean completely boxed in or partialy? because if it is almost completely boxed in then it might be better suited as a town rather than a village, with supporting agriculture outside the walls.
Granted!

The idea is that the village today is smaller than the fortress that once occupied the site, and sort of nestled inside the ruin. So it would be partially surrounded by broken walls.

We have now decided to use Aylied ruin pieces for the walls, so I'm sure you can imagine ways to integrate the existing exterior pieces together to create this effect. Also given that the name means "Ancient Gate" there could be a ruined Direnni triumphal arch of sorts just outside the village. A lot of this would be up to your interpretation, but don't go overboard with the walls, as the theme is still primarily "farming village".

Let me know if you have any further questions!
There were no exterior co-ordinates, so I used the heightmap editor (just looked) to judge a general location for the village based on that downloadable map, is 23,44 OK. Also, What mesh should I use for the manor and the chapel (I know the windows would be missing).
Yes, I'm sorry that the location markers are incomplete. I am working on an improved version of the settlement map that will include a grid overlay. However, your co-ordinates do sound about right. We can always adjust the map to match the villages if they're slightly off (though obviously we would want them as close as possible).

I would suggest using the Turil Church as the chapel model, and some combination of Daggerfall pieces for the Manor. It's a surprisingly versatile set once you play around with it a bit, and it's possible to make quite varied buildings. Take a look at what I did for Cara Prae and Orles for reference.
Here are some CS screenshots so you get an Idea of where I'm heading. I'm uploading them now because it is early enough that If you want to change anything before I go into detailed editing it won't be too much of a problem.
The screenshots are of the Vilage layout, the Lord's Manor, the Farm and the West Entrance.
That's looking really nice. Only thing I can suggest is to change the manor from a hodge-podge of the Daggerfall architecture, to one of the freestanding Daggerfall 'houses' (the pieces used for corners).
Yes, I forgot to mention that there are two freestanding houses in the Daggerfall set. They tend to look better than the other bits when they're on their own and not in a row of houses. It could still be combined with some of the turrets though.

Anyway, that minor detail aside, this is looking great.
I'll change the manor, I always thought it stuck out a bit. Speaking of which would you mind if I re-tex the manor so it doesn't stick out of the landscape as much, eg duller colours or wood, snow on the roof etc?
You'd be more than welcome to modify it. In fact, if you're interested in doing some new textures, we could use them more widely (for the other villages that use the Daggerfall pieces, for example).

Our original plan was that each of the 4 cities that uses Daggerfall architecture would have different textures, although it's something we haven't got around to doing yet.

A snowy roof texture would be particularly useful for the city of Northpoint (still under construction).
Pages: 1 2 3