Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: A letter, by Hrafnakel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cousin,

As you know, I've been in the Bretonic province for quite a while now. I must say, for all the talk of Wayrest as bearing the most Dunmeri influence of the Illiac kingdoms, it is certainly an unfamiliar place to a resident of Morrowind even after months spent here investigating the aftereffects of what the Septims called the "Miracle of Peace." I still know little of the province as a whole, and less still of the circumstances that led up to the cataclysm, but I can at least relay my findings from my travels in Wayrest's domain.

When I arrived, I quickly took my leave of the Super-city that has arisen on the Bjoulsae in the decades since the event, wanting to view its expansive dominion beforehand. It was certainly a great conquest that took place, as the evidence of the old Breton saying; "Find a hill, become a king" still litters the landscape in the form of myriad ruined fortresses, villages and keeps. There are, of course, some towns intact that are under the banner of Elysana, but most seem diminished as going by the number of abandoned houses and shops to be found, save in those few settlements in strategic locations.

Reachport is one such city, at the far western end of the Kingdom. It serves as somewhat of a crossroads between three of High Rock's greatest powers, Wayrest, Orsinium and Evermore. It is a testament, naturally, to Wayrest's own influence that it would control such an important hub, particularly that they've not lost it to the much more violent and aggressive kingdoms to the west.

Any notion one might gain while traversing the greater area of the kingdom that Wayrest is faltering or slipping into ruin would immediately be smashed upon witnessing the city itself. Even in my travels, I've seen few cities so grand as this, and would even go so far as to compare it to the likes of Almalexia, Cloudrest, or even the Imperial City. Mind you, cousin, I am aware how mad that must sound, but this is truly a city to be seen, to be felt, to be breathed, to be heard; though it would probably be hated by any of our people outside our own House Hlaalu. The streets swarm with people, bretons, redguards, even some orcish thugs and nordic mercenaries. Altmer merchants in fantastic vessels frequent the docks; worth noting that there is an entirely separate pair of docks along the city's coast, separating the illustrious and glorious trading vessels from the less desirable boats coming in from Skyrim or the smaller towns along the Illiac.

The gates to the city itself are grand enough to awe all who enter them, even those who've passed a dozen times. The stark, dull grey marble of the Imperial City cannot compare to the massive, bannered, and painted fortifications ringing Elysana's grand city. All along its walls, towers jut upwards reminding the entire countryside for miles around of the might this city wields, each manned by a small contingent of the Knights of the Rose. Save for the slums on the outer edges of the city, there's scarcely an unpaved road to be found in the entire district, many plazas bricked in elaborate, colorful patterns that seem to never fade despite the countless feet that tread upon them. Most of the houses of the upper and middle classes are more spacious than those found in other cities, with columned porches and awnings, many having balconies overlooking the bustling streets. Virtually every building in the city bears the flag of Wayrest; the patriotism of the citizens is bordering on fanatical, obviously increased exponentially by their rivalry with Daggerfall.

The grandest of all is the palacial keep, the residence of Queen Elysana herself. Elaborately uniformed Knights of the Rose stand at each gate leading to the courtyard, which splays out over a vast area. Turrets rise up along the perimeter wall threateningly, the actual residence itself a curious mix of Hammerfellian palacial architecture and the more traditional castlesque builds of other Bretonic kingdoms. The Courtyard itself is breathtaking, with numerous sculptures lining the pathway to the main entry of the Palace, and plants from all over Tamriel forming Elysana's gardens. The main plaza at the front of the residence is laid with the smallest of bricks, depicting the Queen herself holding the banner of her city as a light shone down from the Divines upon her. I am told, curiously enough, that she did not request this self-deifying piece of art, but that it was designed and insisted upon by many artisans within the city.

Curiously enough, despite Elysana's doubtlessly numerous enemies, the palace grounds are remarkably open. Granted, the Queen does have an entourage of guards as one would expect of any ruler, but one is free to have an audience with her at nearly any moment of the day, simply by speaking with her steward. It is not uncommon for her to invite her people, even those not in the most aristocratic families, into the palace to dine with her. I've not been past the main hall and throne room of the Palace itself, so I cannot speak on the structure as a whole, but I can say that what I've seen of it interior is as impossibly grand as the rest of the city.

You really must come here, Cousin. I will write you again when I am able, but I am to meet with the Queen today to speak of the Warp. Send response, when you receive this; and if you can afford the journey, I urge you to respond by meeting me here with your brother, I am sure you would both find this to be a marvelous place.

Truly,
Listril Sendevin