Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Claim: Dune Architecture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alrighty, there is almost nothing to go on about the architecture of Dune. based on its heightmap surroundings, Dune is locates at the northeastern edge of the elsweyr plateau. looking east the the rods head down a steep slope into valenwood. it will have canyons around it where river flow from the city down into the grasslands. anyway heres the picture:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb249...y/dune.jpg

we were thinking of making the lower class houses like these:

http://cdn.dornob.com/wp-content/uploads...-home1.jpg
I'll take a shot at this JK.Just going to finish up the settlement pieces first, shouldn't take me to long to finish those.
Awesome, thats fine by me, but I'll carry on making the wall set for dune, as its the same once as for Orcrest, the towers will be different though.
Quote:Originally posted by Ja-Kha'jay
Awesome, thats fine by me, but I'll carry on making the wall set for dune, as its the same once as for Orcrest, the towers will be different though.

I also mentioned to Shewter via MSN that you'd probably want to do the palace still aswell as you had plans for it? Also Shewter's been well briefed on the designs of the city Smile
Quote:Originally posted by shewter
I'll take a shot at this JK.Just going to finish up the settlement pieces first, shouldn't take me to long to finish those.

How about this: doing architecture modelling together.
I think that will be much faster and much comfortable.
So, what do you say?

Vintra
That's what concept art's for.

When you're working on a particular architecture you really want several variations on a theme so the buildings don't all look the same - so you need a single source file if you're to avoid duplicating someone else's work. Two modellers can't physically work on the same model together, so you're really just trying to ensure everyone has the same vision.

At the moment there are few enough of us that there's no shortage of work to go around, so even if two modellers work on one city, the best split is lower / middle / upper class buildings, plus public buildings. Times the number of cities (six) - that's enough room for 24 modellers without treading on each others' toes. It seems to be the way most teams work.

Personally, I like the approach of modelling for a bit then uploading screenshots for comment. I've seen your CS work over at Blackmarsh (very nice, BTW) - so I think you quite like that way of working too.

Collaborating in that way seems to bring out the best in a team: one person with artistic control over a body of work; constructive criticism from the group.
Of course two modeller can't work on 1 model.

But if the major modeller make the lower class first house, and send it to the second modeller with textures too, then the major modeller can go to middle class.

Or, if the major modeller made the lower class houses (exterior only), then he send to second modeller to make interiors.

But it was just an idea. Anyways, glad you like my interiors! Cool

Vintra
Could work I guess - but I for one am very posessive of my models X( and once I've made a basic form I'd be quicker knocking out the variations anyway.

Splitting interiors and exteriors is a different matter altogether: that's perfectly reasonable.

Keep the ideas coming: they're not as daft as some we get around here!
Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Could work I guess - but I for one am very posessive of my models X( and once I've made a basic form I'd be quicker knocking out the variations anyway.

Splitting interiors and exteriors is a different matter altogether: that's perfectly reasonable.

Keep the ideas coming: they're not as daft as some we get around here!

Allright, sir. Wink