Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Claim: Khajiiti Ships
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Based on Halong/Vietnamese Junk Ships -something between a gypsy caravan, a barge, and a chinese junk ship. Should look atypical, and not really what you'd expect a ship to be.
Khajiit aren't really fond of sailing, so ships are designed around this, being as stable as possible, and with lots of reminders of the land (such as being decorated with pot-plants/potted-sugarcane, being very wide to improve stablity, house-like architecture for the ships cabins, etc).

[Image: tropical_sail_junk1.jpg]

[Image: halong%20princess%20junk.jpg]

[Image: halong%20phoenix%20junk.jpg]

[Image: Halong%20Princess%20Junk%201.jpg]

[Image: VinhHaLong.jpg]

[Image: ghenang.jpg]

[Image: boat-mekong-delta-vietnam.jpg]

[Image: bonsai-cruise-ship.jpg]

[Image: traditional-rowing-boat.jpg]
I'd like to model the last one, i have some idea to add some plus decoration.

Is it okay?

Vintra
I missed this post first off - great boat selections, Bard!

I'd say to go for it, Vintra - unless someone comes along and says do something else first....
Very good idea to get you started. We badly need some boats for the coastal cities.
This small boat is nearly done, hope you like it!
Looking good - what's the polycount?
That's looking like a fantastic start! =)
Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Looking good - what's the polycount?

Thanks for you and Deeza! This is inspiring, definitely.

Actually, its 648 poly without collision. It will be 1200-1300 with collision.
Done, it is 1300 poly. :check:

Hope you like it guys, JKJ here's the file link:

http://hotfile.com/dl/57731807/0dc90df/E...a.rar.html

Vintra
That's surprisingly low considering how good it looks. Check it in-game: you may need more polies and vertex shading to get over the less-than-brilliant game shading. You may have dealt with that already of course.

Doubling your polycount for collision sounds like you're overdoing it with detail. I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're using a mopped triangle mesh which matches the boat in detail. That's OK if you really need it, but it's an unnecessary strain on the game engine if you don't. Try to keep the collision as simple as possible - you might be able to get away with a simple box for the hull, for example, which is easier to compute and less likely to get miscalculated. I've an idea mopps can be dodgy for surfaces you walk on.

If you want advice, talk to Koniption - she knows all there is to know about efficient use of collisions.

[EDIT] Just seen the screenies and got the model - :goodjob: You can probably ignore most of what I just said!
I'll take a proper look at it tomorrow when I can clean up the texture paths. You're embedding the full path to the textures in your nif, so I see
f:\program files\bethesda softworks\oblivion\data\textures\elsweyr\architecture\ships\ewlcboatplanks02.dds
for instance. This should be just
textures\elsweyr\architecture\ships\ewlcboatplanks02.dds
or it won't work when used on someone else's machine. Not difficult to clean in nifskope - I've been doing it as required for the stuff of Senten's you uploaded - but you may as well learn to do it yourself Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6