Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: The 'Things that needs to be done' list :D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are you interested in doing some work for the team? Big Grin

I know there are a bunch of people here who are working hard as it is, and this thread isn't directed towards them - keep up the good work guys!

In this thread I'll mention some work ideas which I personally think are important to our mod. Everyone can pitch their own ideas of what they think needs to be done, but please run it by a core member first. It's a thread for us who likes to work on the mod, so if someone were to post something along the lines of "just search planet elderscrolls"... then that doesn't really add anything, it just deflects the load to someone else, now doesn't it.

Quests and voice work are important matters as well, but since those departments are handled by Quentin Fortune and noremorse respectively it's not my place to get into that here.

1. Currently we have model reference threads for plants, velothi columns, and lights. We need more threads like that for other types of things we would like to bring back (i.e. remodel). Misc items, weapons, armor, static stuff like furniture, et cetera are all good categories. Could someone pick a category of items, make screenshots of the models, maybe write a little something about your observations and experience regarding the items (how they are used, how often they're used), and compile it all into a model reference thread?
? If you're able to import NIFs into 3D Studio Max and export them to the .3ds format that would be even better than screenshots, since modellers can check them out threedimensionally in Max. You can zip up the models (one by one) and upload them to the "3DS Library" album in the gallery and then reference them in your thread. But if you can't, don't let that stop you - screenshots and descriptions still go a long way.
? You can upload screenshots to the gallery and link to them in your thread. Just put them in the Construction Set Images category. If you want to have clickeable thumbnails, here's some info on that.

2. The mod community has created a buckload of models over the years. Some have already been added to the model showcase, but I know there's more out there we can use. Especially our own Morrowind mod has useful stuff that hasn't been added to the showcase yet. Another venue is mods that aren't widely known, i.e., downloadable from Planet ElderScrolls and similar places, in which goodies might be hiding. The recently-added Hlaalu models by Prometheus is a good example of that, as I had no idea they existed before Zarkis got the ball rolling on them. That's not to say there isn't a wealth of stuff that are known but haven't been processed or discussed yet.
It would be great if you could research that matter, pick out the models you find appropriate, secure permission from the creator, and start a thread with screenshots and information so their inclusion can be discussed. You should also include the NIF file and textures; if you are able to convert them to .3ds that would be awesome, but it's not required. Just zip it up, dump it in the gallery, and link to it in your post.
? If a model uses Bethesda textures but the mesh is custom, it's technically suitable.
? If a model is a reskinned Bethesda mesh, skip it.
? If it's too jagged and low-poly, skip it.
? If a model isn't suiting for a Morrowind Province setting, skip it.
? Things like faces and trees can't be easily used since the systems in Oblivion is so different.

3. We need more in-game books who's subject is closer to 'fact' than fiction, meant to give the reader information rather than tell him a story. That would entail:
- identifying a topic which is interesting to you, and which Bethesda hasn't already covered in book form
- researching what information is available in the game and around the community
- using your judgement and imagination when there's no lore to go on
- and compiling it into a text that can pass as a book one would find a fantasy world.
? Dialogue from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind can be a source of inspiration, for instance; there's a lot of useful information in there which isn't covered in book form, and which would be great to have available in-game.
? The lore forum on ESF is another potential goldmine.
? If you don't feel like writing, TIL has a lot of lore-based articles that could potentially be used as in-game books in the mod. Question is, which do you think would be suiting?

4. Could someone research if there is a free software out there which would work better for our future claims system than using the forum? Above all the important thing is that it's highly customizeable. If it can be integrated with "Woltlab Burning Board", i.e. our forum software, that's a plus (but not a requirement). It must be php-based.

5. Recruiting new people is always a good idea. If you spot someone who you feel writes great books, models great items, creates great textures, possesses a vast lore knowledge, or is an all-round good modder in your opinion it would be excellent if you could make them aware of our team and what we want to do. Complimenting people on their work is a great conversation starter, and honest as well -- if they made crap they wouldn't have been contacted, right? Wink
Also, if you plan to mod alongside the rest of your fellow team members then connecting with outside folks who's work you appreciate might be a good way to get a new friend.

6. Want to recommend a good tutorial, or write one yourself? Have a tip you'd like to share? A solution to a problem a lot of modders run into? Then please start a thread on the Faq board. Smile The scope is very broad when it comes to what's appropriate to post; 3D Studio Max, Photoshop and other programs are all potential tie-ins for modders.
Ive certainly done my lot of recruiting! Three people (roger the shrubber, whitefox, and Dwarven Afro)
I'm not trying to blame anyone for not doing enough, Harikari. Smile
Oh, I know. Just bragging Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing

...snip...

3. We need more in-game books who's subject is closer to 'fact' than fiction, meant to give the reader information rather than tell him a story. That would entail:
- identifying a topic which is interesting to you, and which Bethesda hasn't already covered in book form
- researching what information is available in the game and around the community
- using your judgement and imagination when there's no lore to go on
- and compiling it into a text that can pass as a book one would find a fantasy world.
? Dialogue from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind can be a source of inspiration, for instance; there's a lot of useful information in there which isn't covered in book form, and which would be great to have available in-game.
? The lore forum on ESF is another potential goldmine.
? If you don't feel like writing, TIL has a lot of lore-based articles that could potentially be used as in-game books in the mod. Question is, which do you think would be suiting?

...snip...

And don't worry even if you are not too sure about 'how good you are' to start with - I will be there to help you bash your bits into verbal shape, and Razorwing and Quentin are hungry lore gobblers - they eat it for breakfast and always want more... Wink

What really helps me is your intuition, a tiny nugget of perception, an idea with feel = inspiration. So if something :idea1: lights your bulb, then bang in a rough to me, and I'll add it to my to do list, where it will remain until :idea2: I feel I understand it - at which point it will be hours from editorial nirvana.

ps - it's the me understanding what you are really saying and how I can make it fit that can take the time, "the rest," as they say, "is history."
ive pretty much just been helping harikari make varius things such as shrines, caves, and alot of other stuff. this week we are working on this battle type thing, but we need someone to script the fighting because neither of us know much about scripting. so if someone could contact harikari and help with our scripting it would be highly appreciated.the battle is between many different races. it really looks good so far.

p.s. if you have some tips for me on scripting that would also be appreciated. i dont really know anything about it.
"Scripting for Dummies" is the best manual for learning Morrowind scripting. It can be downloaded from our database.
thank you very much, it was indeed appreciated. Big Grin