Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Can Reena's quest draft become a book?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This text is from a quest draft written by Reena McGuire for Lumien Julianii (the big monastery in the central north of the landmass in Silgrad Tower: Morrowind). It's not from a thread on any of the quest board.

My question is, can this text be given a treatment (optional) and made into a book for inclusion in OST? I figured it could be used both as an in-game book but also as notes for the future on the story of the location. There's so much information and backstories here on the forum that never made it into the mod... I hope we can change that for the upcoming project Big Grin I have grayed out portions that appear to be outside of the story.

Quote:Originally posted by Reena McGuire:
Hi to all, finally I want to introduce you to the main quest of the monastery.

The name of the monastery: Lumen Julianii.
The name of the monks: the Consulendi
The protagonists: Arthresius Indigator, an imperial scholar and follower of Julianos
Adeptus Satiens, his mentor
Cupidus Scientiae, a mage and a murderer
The prior of the Consulendi
The monks of the Lumen Julianii

And here is the story:

The Monastery

Arthresius Indigator, a scholar and a monk dedicated to Julianos living in Dagon Fel, studied for long years the knowledge and the wisdom of the world. One day his mentor, the great Adeptus Satiens decided that it was time to send this promising mind to the only place to introduce Arthresius to the deepest secrests of science and belief he knows of: the Lumen Julianii, a secret and hidden monastery only to be found by those worth it.

He wanted to give Arthranos a good start, so he gave him some sealed scrolls, describing in enthusiastic words the promising biography and the brilliant achievements of Arthresius.So the scholar began his voyage through Morrowind, initiated into the secret where and how to find the Lumen Julianii.

In the very heard of the Empire, in Cyrodiil, another promising scholar of the magical arts, Cupidus Scientiae, turned away from the path of wisdom. Intelligent, talented, ruthless and impatient he mixed all known magic without understanding that he toyed with forces much bigger than he was. Ignoring all the wise restrictions, he used darker powers, pawning his own life-energy until these powers absorbed him and maliciously corrupted and twisted his spells. He became addicted to them, having to use more and more of the magic which fed on him on the other hand.

But in his studies he learned about a place called the Lumen Julianii and about the hidden well of pure magic they are gurading there. Presuming that this would not only cure him from the curse but also would provide him with the ultimate possibility to lay hands on this power he was searching for he decided to find this place. He travelled through the lands of Morrowind, knowing that somewhere the monastery lays hidden.

By pure chance he stumbled over Arthresius Indigator, who had a last meeting with his friends in Dagon Fel to tell them about his imminent travel. There he decided to follow him secreatly and to kill him, when the passeageway to the monastery was revealed.

After the murderer to his great surprise he found the sealed scrolls on the body and quickly saw the chance to change his identity and so, taking the other's place, enter the secrets of Lumen Julianii.

When the PC arrives the place on the surface still seems to be as quite and peaceful as ever, but in reality the prior is deeply concerned about some strange things occuring lately.

Not only that food mysteriously rots, that people are getting sick without reason and monks are starting to quarrel without an evident cause, no, also the magical well itself seems to change strangely into something darker. That of course is revealed latest.

Now the PC has to find out what is happening and who is behind all this and deliver the culprit to the prior.
After speaking with the monks the PC will be able to find the sceleton of Arthresius.

There are two ways to solve it:
- the PC can kill Cupidus Scientiae. He will find some excellent spells on the body (nevertheless this mage has been around at the monastery for quite some time).

- the PC delivers a living Cupidus to the prior. There it is decided to try to heal Cupidus and send him back into the world to make amends for his deeds with the option to once come back to the monastery and fulfill his search out of differrent reasons.

As a reward the PC will be led through the secret passageway to the magical well itself - the first being brought there, who is none of the monks, able to see on what the Lumen Julianii was founded.

There will be a new faction for the monks, but the PC will not be able to join them. He will though be able to work with them and learn some of their ways if he is willing to do some tasks for them (Shaun, do you have some ideas? Please?).

Just tell me how you like it and if there are some details you would like to add, just name them.

In the hope that you will like it

Salut

Reena
I'd love to have this story as a book, definitely. =) Would you mind giving it a try, Razorwing?

Greetings

Quentin
Quote:Originally posted by Quentin Fortune
I'd love to have this story as a book, definitely. =) Would you mind giving it a try, Razorwing?

Actually I thought since you're close to her - and close to Lumen Julianii - that you would like to do it? Unless perhaps you feel the book above can be added as it is? If so then I'd be right on it.

black[/hr]
Edit: Rw, May 16th 2005, 17:26 C.E.T.

Reena's story is now added to the Lyrics "as is". :check:
- LINK
raggidman, what's your opinion on this subject?

Apart from Reena's story there's a lot of ideas floating around in the old thread I linked to in the initial post (this one). If it's possible I think it would be really cool if those ideas could be worked into a revised version of the story so we have a clean, coherent description that both can pass for an in-game book as well as functioning as a "design guide" of sorts to recreating the monastery.
Anything can be made into a book. Some starting points have more possibilities than others. This looks fine to me.

Perhaps you might consider fleshing out with a tad more description and background if you want it to be stand-alone.

As a fragment to add background to a quest it looks sufficient with a bit of gramatical correction and maybe subtle tweaking, depending on the nature of the quest and the work that goes into: possible character enhancements; the NPCs; environment, general ST history and social interactions, and associated artifacts...etc

Cor, what a list - but that is most of the stuff we have to look at in making a quest - it's different from a stand-alone story because quest info has to suport and gell with all the other stuff to make the experience and the role-playing happen - so it's much more sensitive.

As I have realised, working with Harakiri on one of his quests, I have to help him visualise and realise his dreams within his area of available technical options. So the writing has to be both general and very situationally specific or it comes out flat.

Well that's my job and its been made easier by the quality of the writing that is coming my way so far from the authors and writers. :goodjob:

Starting a new file in my corner with the original posted here. Originals, notes and WIP are very important because they contain clues to the writers inspiration...
raggidman: Okay, thanks. Smile
raggidman,

if you have any questions about the monastery, its background story and history, its inhabitants and the deeper secrets, feel free to ask.

I should be able to get the big picture and Reena's underlying ideas together and for any detail I can't remember ... I'll simply call her. =)

Since I know how precious and how special the Monastery was - and still is - for Reena and since I have high hopes that she will return to our community as soon as time allows (and as soon as she gets a PC to run it) to bring this dream to life and to implement all the ideas we had for this place of peace and spirituality, I see myself as the custodian of her legacy and I'd like to ask you not to change anything until I had a look at it to see, if it fits with her vision.

I hope you'll understand this.

Greetings

Quentin
Sure thing boss, that's why I posted all the stuff I did above - it's got to be clear what is involved in any project and since this depends on 'that which has gone before' - I can only muck about in my secret corner with the actual content until I know what is intended.

All the originals I work on I preserve there so that:

I have a sight if the initial inspiration, and just as importantly...

the author's starting point is preserved by ST whatever happens later...

I can use the developement of the authors approach as part of the vectors being considered.

It's all there for you and Razorwing to view.
Howdy

This is the Julianii Quest I referenced many moons ago

I'd still like to see this happen for Silgrad ES3

I think everything is in place now, except some cluttering to do in the recent submittal by Quentin

Enjoy
Bob
So do you still want it in a book-form or not?

If it's going to be made into a quest after all, I'll relocate this thread appropriately. Smile
Pages: 1 2