Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Returning regions of ST: Oblivion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

THREAD CLOSED
The topic of this discussion has been ruled on by the core.
...and we've since gotten a much better concept map. :]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

How would you like to see the existing regions modified for Oblivion? (size, flora, style etc)

Are there TES3 regions you'd like to see scrapped altogether?

Personally I don't want to scrap any region, but I'd like to see less mountains and more forests. I understand the ratio in TES3 as the trees were very repetetive. I'd also like more farms to create the impression that our NPCs can feed themselves.

About the concept map;
I don't any longer see us featuring Isra Nium and Hla Rhun in the Oblivion version, as I was made aware some time ago that TR had made them up themselves, so there's no lore reason for keeping them. And it might be better to have fewer but larger towns. What do you guys and girls think?

----------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Razorwing 2005-05-05 (!) - A core vote yesterday decided that all regions and towns will return for OST. Or so I think. Please scroll down for the updated concept map!
Hi there happy modders..

Here a question... Instead of looking forward.. lets look backwards for a sec.. since I dont have any of the files anymore I had when my dissapearance commenced... uhm.. who has backups.. what is the latest version we have... what will we do with it... I see alot of talk but no new internal versions.. who will do the control on new versions.. I wish i could say that I coulld pick it back up.. but due to some radical changes in my life... I dont have the time for it anymore.. hope it will change.. but I dont know as of this moment...

So.. what is the plan.. who is still in the core.. what kind of updates will be done.. etc etc.. sorry if i didnt make a new thread about this.. but i thought this might be linked to any new steps we take...(we as in.. am I still welcome here in my prev form etc)

-D-

ps.. what is the status of tamriel rebuild?
Hi Deus, nice to see you again. Seems that the old team will gather again Big Grin

Quote:Personally I don't want to scrap any region, but I'd like to see less mountains and more forests. I understand the ratio in TES3 as the trees were very repetetive. I'd also like more farms to create the impression that our NPCs can feed themselves.

About the concept map;
I don't any longer see us featuring Isra Nium and Hla Rhun in the Oblivion version, as I was made aware some time ago that TR had made them up themselves, so there's no lore reason for keeping them. And it might be better to have fewer but larger towns. What do you guys and girls think?

We should stick to the map as it is now, but the forested areas (if they really are like in the preview-screenshots) should be greatly expanded.

For the towns it?s again a matter of ingame-speed, we should see how much buildings the new engine on a normal PC would be able to manage. But if it would be possible to have more large towns, that?s definitely a must!
Quote:Originally posted by Deus
Hi there happy modders..

Here a question... Instead of looking forward.. lets look backwards for a sec.. since I dont have any of the files anymore I had when my dissapearance commenced... uhm.. who has backups.. what is the latest version we have... what will we do with it... I see alot of talk but no new internal versions.. who will do the control on new versions.. I wish i could say that I coulld pick it back up.. but due to some radical changes in my life... I dont have the time for it anymore.. hope it will change.. but I dont know as of this moment...

So.. what is the plan.. who is still in the core.. what kind of updates will be done.. etc etc.. sorry if i didnt make a new thread about this.. but i thought this might be linked to any new steps we take...(we as in.. am I still welcome here in my prev form etc)

-D-

ps.. what is the status of tamriel rebuild?

If I may say so, sir (avatar pun), I would love to see you return to an active role in the project :hug:

The latest internal release I know of is 1.3.963 and both that and beta3 are downloadable from the Download page. If I recall correctly that was also the last internal release I put together, and I think I turned that over to you along with a couple of last-minute updates that hadn't been added (Ben's Nordic area). Since then the gf reformatted her work comp, and I decided not to keep anything Morrowind-related on it as the beta3 and the internal release was and is available on our site. Speaking for myself, I don't have any particular desire to resume working on the TES3 plugin, but if I get support then I can probably put together Beta 4, if there is a clear and defined final goal in sight.

As for the core. Zarkis and Katse are the only one's who haven't logged in during 2005, the rest I think can be seen as active. I might be part of the core now, or I might not... let's just say I've been getting mixed messages.

Valderon: I agree with you. The problem is that the map I made only displays one type of terrain. Where there's mountains, that can just as easily be switched to as much forrested hills as is desired. The forests I marked were intended more as very dense forests, whereas I would think light forests could be used throughout the land.

Also I've never been happy about the plains in the map, they should definetely go. Perhaps the Thyllian (left) one can be merged with the left upper tongue of havenbrook fields to form Ashunor Valley? While the Neithan (right) one made into forest?

I just want to say that I think I was influenced a lot by Civilization when I painted it, so I didn't see that square being filled with trees, trees, and more trees, while this square was a big green empty field. I can see how someone could get that impression. Rather it'd be a loose guide on what kind of flora would be there and general landscape suggestions i.e. hills / mountains and lakes.

I read a post on elderscrolls.com forum from a guy who I think had seen the video from the German magazine. He estimated that Cyrodiil would have 200 buildings. So with spacious city planning I have no doubt there is no restriction of any kind on how large the cities can be. But rather than start out big, perhaps it would be a good idea to just leave enough room so expanding the city / cities is an option in the future.
Isn't the map you draw a little ambitious? I know we can generate a whole bunch of terrain but we also need quests or it'll be just a boring piece of land. I think it would be a darn shame if we wont finish this one because we focused to much on building and expanding, instead of finishing regions with quests. I think we can always add more terrain with more quests later. So that if we at one point ( I hope that never comes) get bored with it, we can release a mod with a good piece of land and with an equal amount of good quests. Just my oppinion

Greetz,

Cheese (Uhm OST....)
Quote:Originally posted by Cheese
Isnt the map you draw a little ambitious? I know we can generate a whole bunch of terrain but we also need quests or it'll be just a boring piece of land. I think it would be a darn shame if we wont finish this one because we focused to much on building and expanding, instead of finishing regions with quests. I think we can always add more terrain with more quests later. So that if we at one point ( I hope that never comes) get bored with it, we can release a mod with a good piece of land and with an equal amount of good quests. Just my oppinion

Greetz,

Cheese (Uhm OST....)

Hi Cheese.

My reference to you and OST only built on OST meaning cheese in the norwegian and swedish languages. I hope you don't read anything negative in the little word play I did.

What's ambitious about it? I've never said we should build the whole landscape first, in one fell swoop. I thought I had expressed on several occasions that I thought it would be a good idea to start with Silgrad City and work from there.

The concept map is something concrete, and the references marked on it can be a base for discussions. It can be used for inspiration later on, but if when we get there we don't want to follow it, then we just don't, and take that discussion when we get there. I'm not going to apologize for it anymore. If someone makes a better map, then by all means we should use that instead. If not, as I said, everyone is free to influence how the map should look, and doing the revisions already suggested is on my to-do-list.

That's my opinion.
I think it's time to decide which regions and towns we would like to see return for Silgrad Tower: Oblivion. As there will probably be more than one region/place you want to vote for, there's no poll. You would submit your vote by posting a list of the regions you favour for inclusion. You can either choose from the list below, or add your own choice. Please don't choose houses or tombs or similar as you can recreate them at your discretion without them being voted on.

- MAP OF OUR WORLD for reference. Be aware it's weight is 942kb and size 3200x2781.

Voting would end on 23:59 C.E.T. on May 5th (thursday next week). C.E.T., Central European Time, is GMT +1 hour. I'm open for suggestions on that. As new suggestions might be brought up, you are free to change your vote how many times you want up until the voting closes.

This isn't a vote on what we can do, but a vote on what we want to do. Neither is it the right place to pitch new regions or places; please feel free to start a new thread for that.

After you've cast your vote, a moderator adds a notch after the Regions' / Towns' name, and adds your name in the list of voters. I've taken the liberty of pre-adding my own vote to get a clearer template of how I meant.

Region Choices
- Deepen Meadows I
- Deepen Moor I
- Forgotten Forest I
- Ashunor Valley I
- Ashunor Lake I
- Jarnhald Mountains I
- Reich Hills
- Reich Hills Forest I
- Bitter Coast I
Town Choices
- Silgrad Tower I
- Reich Parkeep I
- Ebbedin I
- Steadhelm
- Crossroads Inn I
Locational Choices
- Ancient Gate I
- Dumac
- Lumen Julianii I
- Legio Argonis I
- Rina's Farm
- Redoran Kagouti Farm
- Sheikkizza's Shrine
- Reich Parkeep Mine I
- Ashranashurbi (daedric) I
- Neferetyabet (daedric) I

Registered voters
- Razorwing
- arcadea

Assumed to return in any case:
- Silgrad Region (surrounding the town)
- Velothi Mountains (it's famous in lore and other places)
Region Choices
- Deepen Meadows
- Deepen Moor
- Forgotten Forest
- Ashunor Valley
- Ashunor Lake
- Jarnhald Mountains
- Reich Hills
- Reich Hills Forest
- Bitter Coast
Town Choices
- Silgrad Tower
- Reich Parkeep
- Ebbedin
- Steadhelm
- Crossroads Inn
Locational Choices
- Ancient Gate
- Dumac
- Lumen Julianii
- Legio Argonis
- Rina's Farm
- Redoran Kagouti Farm
- Sheikkizza's Shrine
- Reich Parkeep Mine
- Ashranashurbi (daedric)
- Neferetyabet (daedric)

ADTIONS
Town Kogomar

If we go far aenough I'd like to see blacklight, Cormais View, gargun hul, Hla Kuhn.
Due to the lack of responses I conclude that our members would like to discuss this subject freely instead of by vote, so I hereby withdraw my suggestion and close the poll Smile
Anyhow, here is Concept Map 1.1. It's not polished, but I'm not going to be able to get more done on it tonight.

- Found a rather nice graphic for forest, which I used to pain the Forgotten Forest. See the werewolf? That is where I will place a 600 meter tall werewolf head statue I'm making in 3DSM. Yes I'm kidding. There'll be werewolves in that area, hopefully.

- I got rid of Isra Nium, a town TR invented (I was going on info that all their towns built on lore, at the time)

- Added some ground textures I thought looked more interesting than plain colors

- Failed to find a texture that would make a suitable ground for Deepen Moor

- Got rid of some crap in the middle to make way for Ashunor Valley and Deepen Meadows

Give me more feedback! Smile) And if you have some nice icons that can be used on the map, like trees and mountains and such, please post those. Transparant gif's or png's would be best, fuzzy jpegs doesn't work well.

[Image: Concept%20Map%201.1_500px.jpg]
Concept Map 1.0 for reference
Pages: 1 2