Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Tenmar Forest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here's a first try at a sample region generation for Tenmar Forest, which covers the Quin'rawl Peninsula with light rainforest along the central ridge, thickening to dense on the slopes. So far I've made no distinction between these types, and the pics have no distant LOD, so it's all a bit thin in the distance.

[Image: MDECForest03.jpg]

Currently, Tenmar is mainly (vanilla) Ginkgo and newly created Mahogany (Swietenia Macrophylla), Teak (Tectona Grandis) and Photinia (P. Davidsoniae). I have a couple more species in mind for later.

Both the teak and mahogany have "Pole" or "Pioneer" forms: tall narrow saplings which are a common growth habit for rainforest species.

[Image: th_MDECForest01.jpg] [Image: th_MDECForest02.jpg] [Image: th_MDECForest04.jpg] [Image: th_MDECForest06.jpg] [Image: th_MDECForest07.jpg]

The understory is predominantly Fatsia Japonica and Bamboo, with TOYB's Ponga tree ferns, and various Koniption's creations - I've fixed texture problems on some of the latter, as well as a retex.

[Image: MDECForest05.jpg]
I had to take a snoop at morcroft's latest work...beautiful stuff! Very lush! :goodjob:
:cheers: :thumbsup:
Hi! Since I'm following you on Photobucket I saw those already, but I'll just have to say that it's a great job!
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys - especially Ibsen for emerging from his beloved mire!

Pero - you're my only follower on photobucket so thanks also! I've looked through your album too - there's some nice work there. Are you free to do any modelling for Elsweyr? We intend to use original architecture as far as possible so there's much work to be done if you're interested.
Thanks. You can use whatever you want of my work unless you want it exclusively for your mod. If you like something, just tell me and and send it to you.

But I will also release it as a modders resource open to everyone.

My tribal hut and old temple was designed with Elsweyr in mind. But Connary style lower class house could be used in any province as imperial settlers type.

Btw. of all those styles, Connary lower class house is done (exterior, interior, _far), tribal hut doesn't have _far, but that should be easy to do in a minute, others are exterior only for now.
Thanks for that. I don't think the Connary Style house is Elsweyr enough, and I've already created a temple model.

I like the tribal hut - depends if it fits anywhere: The Old Ye Bard and Ja'Kha-jay will need to say what architecture we use.
All that water has to go somewhere:

[Image: MDECForest13.jpg]

These are Texian's animated river meshes with a silt-laden retex and colour-matched water shader. The mossy rocks in the river itself are another retex of mine.

I layered a network of rivercourses over the whole Tenmar area when I was working on the heightmap, so hopefully we can fill the forest with running water. There's a couple of muddy streambed textures set up so your footsteps splash as you walk through the animated bits, which works pretty well, but it does mean we have to be cautious about how many textures we use in the region gen: it's easy to run out of texture slots, and at least one texture must be kept free for the streambed.

[Image: th_MDECForest10.jpg] [Image: th_MDECForest11.jpg] [Image: th_MDECForest12.jpg]
Pardon? There's a limited number of textures slots in the CS? Did I read that right?
Yes - but only per cell. I think it's one "base" texture - assigned to the first texture in the region gen - plus another 7 to make 8 in total.

I found that when I region genned with too many textures I'd be drawing in the stream bed when suddenly I couldn't paint the next cell. And short of wiping the entire cell's textures to "none" that left me stuffed!
Pages: 1 2 3