Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Vivec City (2)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
the 1st thread has been locked for 200? posts, so I would like to recap on the main ideas...
these are very general... and vague....
  • more color and business and more NPCs
    more banners and decorations
    give all NPCs housing
    put in House guards for the House cantons
    labeled crates and boxes
    more active gondoliers, and more of them
    upper levels more busy, lower for storage, housing, and shipping
    improved and creepier sewers
my suggestions:

I think we should put in open-air tops for Foreign Quarter, Arena, Olms, & Felms because Foreign Quarter is a market canton also... the Arena seem much better with an open arena and Olms & Felms are smaller markets.
Perhaps the Telvanni can have a dome but slightly different with skylights to allow a more musty and native Telvanni feel.... and a mushroom garden... and of course a more mysterious feel and look to it all
the Hlaalu canton I feel should have a large indoor market (under the dome)
the Redoran canton I think should have a brewery, afterall, native alcohols is one of their main exports
I think there should be a high number of Dres in St. Olms Canton due to the high number of laborer and craftsmen guilds and probably a high presence of Cammona Tong in the St. Olms canton area... I think it should be an informal Dres canton, like the other Houses have their own canton
I think there should be a high number of Indoril in St. Delyn's Canton, it has specialized groups like potters and glassworkers... good for the Indoril, and could be an unofficial Indoril canton...

there are these sections, each treated like its own town:
Foregin Quarter & docks, strider port, guar stables
Arena Compound
Redoran Canton
Telvanni Canton
Hlaalu Canton
St. Olms Canton
St. Delyn Canton
High Fane, Ministry of Truth, & Vivec's Palace
Velothi Forts*

*a 3 fort defense system in the southern area south of Vivec' Palace to guard Vivec and Ebonheart from sea-attacks
All that looks good, but how are we going to do the defense tower? Round little Velothi towers or REAL towers ( got my vote)
I hope this isn't redundant as I don't have time to read the 200 posts of the original thread... but I think we should look heavily to the original concept art for Vivec for inspiration, both the sketches and the pre-renders, because that painted an image of an amazing city that we didn't get with Morrowind. PirateLord's Vivec Redesigned + Hoghead's Vivec Expansion (which Pseryon Ward got to work together) did an excellent job of making Vivec more like it should have been, and I think we should expand on those ideas. Cantons should definately be open... marketplaces should be bustling with people, many of them mysterious strangers with hooded robes... there should be a feel similar to Venice, Italy with the gondoliers and various things along the water. What do you guys think?
that is exactly what we are goign for with our mod. we're tryign to make Vvardenfell as it was supposed to be, not as it was presented in morrwind... and so we consquently ARE looking back over the concept art quite a bit. We're really trying to make everyplace interesting and rememberable...
Quote:Originally posted by batman
that is exactly what we are goign for with our mod. we're tryign to make Vvardenfell as it was supposed to be, not as it was presented in morrwind... and so we consquently ARE looking back over the concept art quite a bit. We're really trying to make everyplace interesting and rememberable...
while retaining the charm of the old Morrowind
Last night, I came up with a basic plan for Vivec that I wanted to run by you guys. It's partly based on the Vivec "open canton" mod that Cryonaut mentioned. Anyway, these are the features:

1) Reorganized canton layout. The Foreign and House cantons are now more seperated and each connected to the mainland (it never made sense to me that the Redoran and Telvani had to walk through either the Foreign Quarter of Hlallu to get in and out of their areas). Also, under the new layout, the faction cantons all meet at the Arena, symbolic of sorting out their differences on a common ground and under the rules of honor.

2) Retained TESIII canton structure for Foreign and House quarters. The insides should definitely be tweaked and probably housing should be added around the outsides of the upper and/or lower levels. The fortress style however seems appropriate as the factions are basically embedded against each other and also serve as the defensive landward edge of the city as a whole. Bridges should also connect each of these cantons' upper levels to the Arena.

3) Revised, unique Arena Canton. Not sure what this should look like, but something special, maybe with an open-top arena or something cool like that. Balconies and such as well. Maybe a forum of some sort for diplomatic meetings of the Houses, so that the Arena canton is for the settling of all manner of disputes not just military.

4) Open St. Cantons. These two cantons become the open market modeled after the Vivec mod on Cryonaut's website. There are shops and homes, all in Velothi style. Perhaps there is a fountain in the center of each of these two cantons depicting their patron saint. Elaborate bridges connect the two cantons. All in all, there is an ornate public park/market feel. On the outer edges of the St. Cantons we could place some kind of docking arrangement to facilitate shipping to the market; perhaps the tip of each dock area is a guard tower for the city's protection.

5) Retained TESIII Temple and Palace cantons. Of course we could make them more ornate, but I like the design already and I'd vote to keep the same plan.

Anyway, here's the basic layout visual to help with clarity. Picture land extending all around the upper edge (a slight modification of the existing shoreline).
just one thing... prior to your suggestion, my attachment shows what it would be.... an unaltered Vivec City, which was meant to be in the shape of a cross.... it is symbolic... now your city looks logical, but not lore-wise... but I think the Arena and Redoran should switch places should chose to do that.... cuase the Redoran don;t want to be placed out like outsiders, but the Arean is for everyone to visit... you know what I mean

its not bad, but I don't think it should be final....
May I suggest that ports will be added as well. I suggest that a port will be built within one of the red squares ( maybe not squares but you get my point ). And possibly another port in the blue areas.

The Hlaalu would probably have a port as they are a wealthy house who's trading a lot with different factions. A port would help trade and a good place for this port is in the Hlaalu Canton.
The Telvanni might not need a port, but the city would look a lot better with a port on the Telvanni canton.

[Image: vivec.png]

So, what do you think?
i'm thinkin that if the ports gonna be behind the city then there has to be a bridge high enough to let the ships into the harbor behind it, otherwise theres no point to the harbor...
I think it is ok.... but I also feel that the Hlaalu if they were to have a dock they'd have more extensive ones whereas the Telvanni would have simpler and less complex docks may be only enough for about 2 ships to go into... and I do believe the Redoran should be dock-less and land-locked as they are not very ship-savy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12