Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Distant land
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason I wasn't allowed to mod on Christmas Day but I kept my PC busy on region generation for distant land. Here is all of Cyrodiil from Elsweyr world coordinate y = 16 (Tamriel y = 6) northwards as seen from the peak NW of Riverhold:

[Image: th_ECLOD-01NW.jpg][Image: th_ECLOD-01NE.jpg]

This is the corresponding view from the hill just SE of Riverhold:

[Image: th_ECLOD-02N.jpg][Image: th_ECLOD-02NE.jpg]

There's a bit of tweaking going on to make this all visible: I set
uGridDistantTreeRange=50
uGridDistantCount=50
in oblivion.ini to make the trees render all the way to the Jerall mountains, and I used
setfog 100000 250000
to clear up the distant fog so you can actually see them.
By the nine thats beautiful, great work morcroft!
It looks very nice! Smile
I saw this yesterday. It does look amazing but I was not sure of what its use is.

Happy Holiday
Charles
Hi Zurke

Elsweyr has the advantage / challenge of being very high, so from the upland areas you can see practically the whole vanilla worldspace, plus Valenwood and part of Black Marsh.

We are in our own worldspace, which incorporates a clone of most of the vanilla heightmap, so we're populating the distant land with a simple LOD preset as the backdrop. What you see in those pictures is the view into the distance from the northern region of Elsweyr.
Hi morcroft Smile

Thank You. .

I believe Sandor has done something similar. But we are not so high up.

We have a narrow pass which we are using for the transition. How will your mod transition into Cyrdiil? It seems a tougher proposition.

Happy Holidays
Charles
Much tougher - and to be honest we're not even going to try. We will use region borders for the edge of the playable area as vanilla Oblivion did, and have a "plot-driven" transition in and out of the worldspace. TOYB's the expert on that part.

The whole design was debated extensively long before I joined the mod and this was felt to be the best solution. I understand there are technical reasons why sharing the Tamriel worldspace as others have done causes problems.