Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: QC01 "Camo Critters" (Claimed)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Image: Gecko01.jpg]

Claim Status: Claimed by AliTheLord
Faction Associations: Mages Guild or independent
Estimated # of Stages: 1 (although likely to be continuous with a prolonged effect)
Relevant Locations: Mages Guilds or other shops such as Sorkvid's Terrible Terrarium (Stormhold)
Lore / Literature Connections: None as yet (although an entry can be provided in the Black Marsh Bestiary)
Final Scripts and Instructions: All that is needed for the quest modder is given here: QC01 "Camo Critters" .

Basic Description

This quest is similar to the vanilla “Nirnroot” quest in Oblivion, where you have to find a number of the same object for some NPC, an object which is hidden all over the landscape. This time it involves the Gecko lizard creature in the BM archive.

Quest Ideas and Development

The initial thoughts on how the quest might begin are as follows:

Before the Quest starts, all Geckos are disabled. So the player does not see any of them initially. The player enters the village/city that holds a scientist or Mage (or other animal-friendly hobby), and starts a conversation with them. We will call this person Mage A.

There is a room in the same building (or an adjoining building) that the player cannot open the door to, no matter what, and this room is not close to nor visible to where you talk to Mage A. Also, this room has a “vent” or “hole” through which something is to escape through. When the player finishes talking to Mage A, a shriek is heard nearby, then an understudy apprentice barges into the room, and yells that all the “experimental subjects” have escaped from the holding room.

These “subjects” were the geckos. After this, Mage A tells the player that he/she needs to find these geckos right away so that he can further his research, and also to prevent as much contamination as possible with the outside environment. You can make up what was done to the Geckos by Mage A. The BM Mages Guild is, after all, more a place of learning than an actual Guild so it makes sense that some fauna might undergo experimentation of some sort. They might, for instance, have been fed Hist sap or had some magic infusion applied to them – whatever is appropriate.

After you're given the quest, the room that the player couldn't open before now has the door ajar, and inside the room are broken crates or something that could have held Geckos, along with the hole that they escaped through. Now when the player goes into the outside world again, the Gecko “Activators” should be enabled and ready to be found. These Geckos spread far and wide...and have turned out to be faster travelers than one might think, spreading themselves all over Argonia.

What must be done (including scripts)

There are two “Gecko” forms:
  • One form is that of the Gecko “Activator”. This Gecko is an uncaught Gecko and needs to be placed on trees and other places where it blends in well. A set number of Geckos need to be placed in the world, where the player needs to find most or all of them.
  • The second and last form, is a “Misc Item” in the CS, and is a Caged Gecko. It is a clutter item, can be dropped from, and added to, Player's inventory/etc. This form is what is added to the Player's inventory every time the Player finds one of the “Activator” Geckos, and activates it to catch it.

What is then needed are two different scripts. These have already been added to the Activator and Misc Item geckos respectively, to have their scripting lines kept intact, despite what other scripting may be necessary for the actual Quest implementation itself.

For reference purposes, the “Nirnroot” quest involves all scripts that begin with the “MS39” prefix:

*MS39NirnrootPlantScript – on “flora” version of nirnroot (my equivalent for the Gecko is the “Activator” type)

*MS39NirnrootScript – on “Ingred” version of nirnroot (my equivalent for Gecko is the “Misc Item” type)

*MS39Script – is the actual “Quest” script for the nirnroot quest; this is attached to a Quest, and must be saved as a “Quest” script in the script window (the gecko has no Quest script, yet and needs to be made).

*MS39SinderionScript – on the NPC who is in charge of the Nirnroot quest (the Gecko will need an NPC who gives this Quest, as well.)

[/HR]

Original Quest Writer - Koniption
Wow! Does this look cool or does this look epic??!!
And does this now mean that quests are about to become claimable? As in will quests become open to start being created.
Quote:Originally posted by Dr.DeathDefing
And does this now mean that quests are about to become claimable? As in will quests become open to start being created.

Yes, I updated this thread a short while ago to make the changes to our approach clear: Quest Essentials .
So this is the first really official quest huh, or are there others done yet? Well anyway I'm not applying for this one since it has just a bit too much scripting in for me........ But anyway are there no other claimable quests, because if this is the only one it might be one of the main reasons that we haven't got any real quests in yet. Just saying.

--Miz
Yes, there aren't any quests in yet...except for one quest in RockGuard by drmccoy who disappeared without finishing it properly....typical of so many who completely lack dedication that drift by...although I guess drmccoy had the excuse of going to work on Elsweyr...
Just for clarification - I don't think Drmccoy did work on Elsweyr.

He went to Valenwood, and left us similarly in the lurch there - twice, although the first time was due to a serious car accident so I guess we have to let him off for that. He returned and was doing some scripting for us. As far as I know he went on holiday and has not returned.
Yes, that was really quite a severe loss. He was a pretty talented scripter and quester.
I have finally written up the scripts for this one. It includes a .rar file with all instructions for creation. Note that this is an .odt file since the DBC mod discovered that such files are compatible with a wide range of different machines, thus hopefully making it easier on everyone involved.

If working on this quest and still using v2.64 of the esm, you may use the attached esp to get you started (it contains some necessary adjustments to the diseases of BM). Before beginning, please check with me to ensure that this file hasn't already been merged.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I have finally written up the scripts for this one. It includes a .rar file with all instructions for creation. Note that this is an .odt file since the DBC mod discovered that such files are compatible with a wide range of different machines, thus hopefully making it easier on everyone involved.

If working on this quest and still using v2.64 of the esm, you may use the attached esp to get you started (it contains some necessary adjustments to the diseases of BM). Before beginning, please check with me to ensure that this file hasn't already been merged.

Just for everyone's future reference:

.odt files can be opened with the OpenOffice suite of free programs. You get a text writer, spreadsheet program, etc - all for free - AND they are cross compatible with Microsoft versions of the same. This means OpenOffice can also open stuff that used to only Microsoft Office suit could open.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Koniption
Thanks KP. :goodjob:
Pages: 1 2 3 4