Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Orcrest Progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Following the restart all the existing work on Ocrest was, with regret, abandoned. A new and rather less grandly ambitious design was settled on by Ja-Kha'jay and The Old Ye Bard.

The new Orcrest Walls are now in place.

The wall models are from originals by Ja-Kha'jay which I've reworked to give a more curvy outline to the city. I still need to create the _far.nifs

These are views of the city from ground level - the East gate:

[Image: Orcrest01.jpg]

.. and the South gate:

[Image: Orcrest02.jpg]

And yes, I know both gates are somewhat lacking in, well - gates! I've just had a concept art failure. I can either rework the gates I did for Corinth - or maybe someone has another idea.

This is an aerial view from each end of the city:

[Image: Orcrest03.jpg]
[Image: Orcrest04.jpg]

No plans to start modelling the interior architecture at the moment: more pressing to get the other cities walled off. However if anyone has any concept art for the Orcrest buildings then please post away! Note that we will not be using any existing modders' resources for this: pretty much everything out there is far too well known to be much use to us.
Hmm, I'm quite tempted to try my hand at that, now that I have a scanner available. What sort of cultural inspirations did you have in mind for this city?
Please do! I'm not really sure what we're after except NOT the usual middle-eastern thing!

All I've got to go on is the wall design, which was Ja-Kha'jay's concept. I think I remember a post by TOYB suggesting medieval Russian architecture as a possible style.

I think domes are needed - because of that Infernal City remark about Riverhold having "few domes but many towers" - why comment on the lack of domes unless the neighbouring cities had them?
That's a good point about the domes. I was actually working on some Russian-style houses for the High Rock mod, come to think of it... Not sure how suitable they would be here though.
Don't know about the general architecture - the walls suggest Indian / Tibetan influences as well. The picture from TOYB I had in mind was one of those big Russian Orthodox churches with all the spires and domes - but that's possibly too grandiose and overblown - I rather like this:

[Image: 2844928457_46bd97049b.jpg]
khizi by charlietodd, on Flickr

ps. Whoohoo! 750 posts! That's "Count Darkes" now!
Errata: Riverhold has both domes and towers. I think I must have muddled that Infernal City quote with another about Rimmen - which has "few towers but many domes." So there you go: never listen to me about lore.