Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Concepts/Planning Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Well to be more precise, what i meant by form or function was really a question of asthetics. Form meaning beauty, and function meaning... well function. Dwemer ruins in TES3 are very functional, by which i mean there are many exposed pipes, valves, machines... it's very raw, and gives the impression that the dwemer didn't really care about having large chunks of raw metal sticking out of the walls and floor. Whoever made those places had no sense of interior decoration or design whatsoever.

What i'm really asking is if we should make Dumac look more citylike - less exposed machines and stuff, seeing as how nobody really wants to live in an ugly machine shop. (of course i think it'd be awesome, but many would disagree with my artistic tastes)

What i gather from your post is that we should probably go for visible pipes, machines, ect, making it more functional, and at the same time grand, but not aim to make it look like an artistic and interior decoration masterpiece.
I think we have our functions crossed Smile

Sometimes a picture helps explain

Please excuse the crudeness of my picture Smile

The inside of the city and the insdie of Dumac's Keep/Main Citadel should be grand and show no evidence of all that piping, which in ES3 it does not cause the Interiors from Tribunal were used

An Underworks

Like a sewer system, where all the real work happens, the machinery running and pumping/ generating the power which the pipes take up to the city, these pipes extend up into the city but are not seen or if they are they would connect to a power box. Thats how I meant

Whats the status of the tileset?

the dwemer interior models for ES3 have these pipes built into the walls, should we have the same? If the Tile Set is allready in work and its being based on what ES3 was like I say lets not change it, but if the tile set is not started yet then lets not include them at all, we can add in piping as needed where we feel it would suit us best

whatcha think

enjoy
Bob
The tileset is technically usable, meaning that you can make rooms and corridors. Except you have to scale everything to 6.4x (don't ask why) And not all the misc assets are done, such as doorjambs, doors, free walls, ect. The walls do have the pipes built into them, but i think that in the underworks we should just add more obvious pipes to differentiate. The pipes are almost decorative in TES3 - they look cool, and also provide steam power. They're already in the tileset, and it's probably best to leave them alone.

Also, i did some more adventuring in dwemer ruins in TES3 - it seems that some actually have rooms, which consist of no more than doors and a bed... which means we're completely free in designing a dwemer house.

That's a pretty cool underworks.. what do you think of the power supply being geothermal energy? (basically getting energy from heat inside the planet, in this case lava) There are already walkways to go over lava, so they wouldn't look out of place connecting giant stacks of metal in the middle of a lava river methinks.
Well if its usable no mater the scaling we can put things together and get a feel for the look 6.4 does sound like an odd number for a scale Confusedhrug: but thier like the ES3 version? with respect to design

What about the Tribunal Stuff we really need that if were going to make Dumac a grand place

Yes most Dwemer ruins had rooms off the side or in the halls not many of them but some and thats about all you would find, a metal bed frame and maybe a table

I threw it together just to give an idea of what I was talking about
It seems the Dwemer used Water and Heat to power thier machines
it would hold true in Dumac, its not near any large water source so most likely heat from lava flow, but the sad part of that is their is no active lava source near Dumac so were back to water, at least we could justify an underground stream or lake, which might be a way to go, though I like the lava better

something to think about

Enjoy
Bob
I haven't played tribunal, which is strange, considering i OWN it. I guess i'm waiting for my character to get past lvl 5 before attempting tribunal and bloodmoon. As for lava, maybe the reason there's no active lava is because it's so deep. And it hasn't formed volcanoes or anything, because Dumac uses so much of its energy to power the city that there isn't enough left to show itself on the surface. I am shamelessly making up reasons why we could have lava, but come on, it'd be cool. Sometimes you've got to make small concessions in the name of what's awesome. It's not really a stretch to put LAVA in a DWEMER ruin after all. The velothi mts had to form somehow...

As for the tileset, it's usable with respect to planning layouts and getting a feel for it, but because every single piece has to be scaled up 6.4, you can't make full-sized levels with any ease, making it pointless to use. They are almost exact replicas of the TES3 design. Again, i have no idea on the tribunal stuff. You'd have to ask TheImperialDragon about that yourself.
:lol: yea I think you want to be higher than level 5 I've never ventured North until level 20 and as far as Tribunal goes even though you can go at level 2, unless you have some serious armor and weapon you wouldn't want to take on the DB, I won't explain it any more, that would ruin it < hey thats a pun (ruin) Big Grin

I'll ask about the Tribunal Set, it wouldn't be Dumac without it !

As far as the Lava goes..well I'm sold on the idea, my only concern is that their are lots of players out their who will make a point of noting that "Its not right"

Which makes me ask about landscaping, We are doing the land... yes?

I think if we are, we can make it as such that it would seem fairly resonable for active lava to flow under the city

Enjoy
Bob
Yeas Image three for me too, maybe the land to either side under the statues could be highered up a bit more. This is a grad city after all.
i do think we need active lava. this makes everything more in the spirit of Oblivion, a living world, not like that it sits there doing nothing like in many games
It's settled then. Who's doing the landscaping for Dumac though? I don't have much experience with landscape, but i guess i can learn if there's nobody else (or is the landscape done?) I don't want to pressure InsanitySorrow, as i'm sure i'm capable of doing it (with some help from the CSwiki and the FAQs)

People who go around pointing out the small inconsistencies in mods are just jerks. If having lava in a Dwemer ruin robs them of their enjoyment, they just need to put down the keyboard, and stop playing video games.

Only thing before we do the landscaping is that we of course need the exterior models, cause you really have to do it all at once. Can't place models without being prepared to alter some mountains, and can't alter mountains without knowing where everything goes.
As soon as the models are done i will do the exterior of Dumac City.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15