Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: The 300 Spartans!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No, I'm not trying to put 300 down, I'm just saying that it was a little too unreal.
And you are completely entitled to that, just as you are entitled to not like Elvis, but you must appreciate the IMPACT they have.
I do appreciate the quality of the movie, it just wasnt the best movie I've seen.
And I like Elvis. Big Grin
Goodly.
Quote:Originally posted by Tlo1048
No, I'm not trying to put 300 down, I'm just saying that it was a little too unreal.

True, but you have to learn to appreciate that(or not) Once you adjust to the fact that almost all movies made today are going to be unreal you can enjoy them a lot more:yes:

On a side note: Your definition of "quality" can be different per person.

I.e: I would appreciate a movie filmed in the alps with Leonitus actually crawling up a rock face than him in a studio on a huge chunk-o-plastic. But really you can't tell the difference.
Do you know the man hours involved in making the fake rock wall? The director of Skycaptain spent years working on a film about mechs, entirely CG, he was 6 minutes in when they decided to give him his chance with skycaptain (A hugely expensive movie).

It'd be far easier just to go to the mountain, but we've crossed the point where CG is a viable way for a director to recreate his vision.
To me it's not what's harder to accomplish, but more authentic.

But everyone's entitled to their opinionWink
The wolf was fake, yes, and it wasn't even a part of that Spartan tradition. They were supposed to sneak up and kill one of their servants, a strong one, not hunt a wolf. Anyone can really hunt a wolf when you give them a spear.

The demonized Persians, yeah, well deserved. But, it is truly an imposing thing, and something they would do, when you gather up all of the freaks in your empire and stick them in your military.

Change of speed in combat, that was something I really liked. It adds a whole new feel to combat, where every death actually means something, rather than just some random guy they kill.

The colors, though also not realistic, give the movie that wartime feel. If you had clear blue skies, a golden sun, and so on, it seems too clean and bright. The colors they picked are like the dirty colors, the dust flying through the air, and the desolate atmosphere of a battleground.

CG, although it looks cheesy some times, it's a much cheaper and efficient way to make a movie. It costs less money to make a small piece of the scenery in your studio than to fly your cast, crew, and equipment all the way to a mountain, then find an appropriate spot, only to film a scene a few minutes long. If a whole movie was somewhere like a jungle, then they'd probably film in a jungle. Well, actually, a jungle's a bad example, because then that's putting people's health in danger. But you get my point. Now this just makes me wonder why they simply didn't film the whole thing in Greece. Maybe because it's hard to replicate everything over the landscape.
Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
It'd be far easier just to go to the mountain, but we've crossed the point where CG is a viable way for a director to recreate his vision.

His "vision" obviously needs glasses, damn that movie looked fake! :lol:
But it was an entertaining movie anyway, but i don't feel the need to see it again.

IAMTHEEMPEROR, personally i would have prefered clear blue skies, and a very bright and hot sun.
Imagine having to fight during a heatwave, pfhew! ^_^*

EDIT: Hey Tlo1048, I hope you did'nt actually buy the special edition? (A perfect waste of your money).
Quote:Originally posted by Kodama

EDIT: Hey Tlo1048, I hope you did'nt actually buy the special edition? (A perfect waste of your money).

Big Grin No, I thought about it, just because of the helmt, but it really wasn't worth it.
I like the movie, its alright, and I appreciate the work put into it. But they tried too hard to turn it into an epic, and I only watched it because they made Sin City.
This 300 mania is getting pretty bad, I mean out homecoming this year is based off of 300, and we are having a Toga/Spartan warrior dress up day.
I actually thought about buying the Leonidas bust they made, until I saw the price, it was like 150$.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7