Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Frequent virus warnings when looking at this site.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I dont really know where im supposed to post this. But as i have a question the best thing would be to post it here right?

Anyways, i was looking around on the site just a few minutes ago.
When i entered the Visual Dev Board i got a pop-up that suggested that i should look for "Active-X control" or something. Five seconds later my antivirusprogram told me that a virus was entering my computer and something about removing a temporary folder. So i pressed the "remove virus" button. After that my internet was shut down.

This isn’t the first time that I have contracted this problem. The exact same thing happened a few days ago on the Visual Deb Board.

Im wondering if someone could explain why these pop-ups pursued by virusproblems occur.

Im using the Avast antivirus program btw.

Thanks in advance. :goodjob:
i would hope that there are no actual viruses, othewise im screwed. here is what im thinking could be causing the problems -- 3rd party hosting sites. fileshare, megaupload and the like. i feel dirty everytime i click one, and they sertainly look like the virus harboring types.
It sounds to me like you've got a bit of spyware or something similar installed on your system. Wherever it came from, it probably wasn't here - it most likely came from a recent download on another site. Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using?

While I am no expert on such things, here is what I would suggest in order to figure out what's happening: Start by running a full spy-ware scan followed by a complete virus scan.
There's quite a few nefarious programs that launch browser windows against your will. They're easy to spot for me since I use Firefox and those programs like to use Internet Explorer to launch. The last one I suffered was hard to get rid off too since Adaware couldn't catch it, but I googled the title bar (which I've forgotten) and found an article that described how to get rid of it. Next time a window like that pops up try and glean clues about it's origin. Does the title bar say anything? What kinds of ads does it show you? Enter that into google and you might find others discussing the same problem. Or you could try checking out the list of installed programs and see if there are new entries you don't want to be there.

Usually for me that kind of spyware shows up after I've installed freeware / shareware programs.
Virus in Mirrored's Thread

Actually, you're [strike]no longer[/strike] not (I just checked the dates) the only one, Hubbabubba!. I don't know what to make of it. Confusedhrug:
I've gotten the same thing. It was in Tobi's Imperial Fort thread.
What browser are you using, IATE?
The most up to date version of IE. I should probably get Firefox one of these days Tongue
A couple more questions for anyone seeing this issue:

- Which AV software is being used,
- Which threads the warning may appear on,
- The warning given.

Thanks,
Steve
Im using the latest version of IE.

And um its happened to me when i was browsing the Tobi's Imperial Fort thread in Visual Dev.

The warning says something about a temporary file which needs to be removed.

Ive run virusscans and found some viruses on my computer which are now removed.

Thank you anyways, :goodjob:
Pages: 1 2 3