Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: NPC 'voodoo' link with Silgrad Tower
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone,

You may not be very familiar with me over here as I've been admiring your efforts from afar for quite a while but I thought I'd suggest something that may be of interest to various people here as a design proposal which you are welcome to adopt or not to, whichever you prefer.

My most recent piece of writing for Silgrad Tower involves a Redguard Necromancer called 'Anaster' whose diary can be found here: Diary of a Redguard Necromancer - Anaster Marrowmir .

As I was writing this, I moved the whole ending of the piece towards the environs of the Black Marsh border as I felt that this was a perfect site for the subjects and themes of the story and a potential design opportunity. That thread basically describes the NPC that set my ideas rolling but I'd like to extend that here by making another proposal.

At the end of the diary, Anaster meets a female Argonian known as Froch-Ma or 'Pulls-the-Strings'. The implication at the end is that Anaster helps to develop the traditions of an Argonian form of voodoo, whose practices bear certain similarities to his own lost culture that are not associated with Mannimarco. A small faction may begin to develop between the borders.

I am proposing further development along these lines and suggesting that Tamriel voodoo should be recognizable as a form of voodoo that is distinct enough on its own and is merely using the topic as its base. Typical ingredients include voodoo dolls / charms, skulls, top hats, masks and zombies but it would be great to introduce other things into the mix such as a greater incidence of Argonian zombies, perhaps a reptilian creature based on the Shivering Isles’ Grummite or Scalon who is worshipped by an Argonian cult, objects and architecture made from bones, new potions, familiars (small, massively size-reduced helpers), mushroom lore and so on.

To get you thinking about the possibilities, I have attached a small selection of images as inspiration that I just grabbed off Google (there's plenty more stuff like this on the internet). Personally, I think that a place such as the Black Marsh would be the absolute perfect location for such activities to take place and to maximise the effects of its more threatening swamplands.

Please let me know what you think. I'd be happy to help develop it as far as my own limited abilities can (writing and voice acting, basically).
Nice pictures!Especially like the first one.Great! :goodjob:
Thanks, Senten. Your opinion means a lot.

Yeah, those are voodoo tarot cards. Besides the pix on them, I sorta wondered what the possibilities would be for creating a mini-game using cards, something a bit like the persuasion game but a little more involving and based around an actual game with genuine rewards involved. It'd take some serious thinking but I bet it would be popular.

Let me know if any of the above ideas become do-able at all and I'd be happy to offer whatever assistance I can.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Thanks, Senten. Your opinion means a lot.

Yeah, those are voodoo tarot cards. Besides the pix on them, I sorta wondered what the possibilities would be for creating a mini-game using cards, something a bit like the persuasion game but a little more involving and based around an actual game with genuine rewards involved. It'd take some serious thinking but I bet it would be popular.

Let me know if any of the above ideas become do-able at all and I'd be happy to offer whatever assistance I can.

I love the ideas. Though my concept of "voodoo" in black marsh was more demon oriented. Such as mojo bags, and herbs. Not exactly Necromancy, but it has its fair share of undead. Maybe some JuJus, or gris bags for protective rituals.
I plan to make it prominent, much like Cyrodiil's necromancy, only its accepted and not rebuked. But not only demons, and such, but shamans, and medicine men. All of these things are probably going to be implemented into BM.

I guess I'm saying....we'd love to continue the storyline, and any help would be spectacular.
Thanks!
Wonderful! I wasn't aware you had this implemented already. Great minds think alike :yes: .

From my end of things, my priority is in finding someone who is prepared to skin a really cool NPC that looks something like the voodoo dude in my pix. I'm sure I can persuade brucevayne to make the voice mod a part of this project. Then it's just a case of getting my voice sorted for it and working out a script. If you like, I could get thinking about how this tarot card game might pan out in-game.

Once this is done, I'll probably have developed more of an idea on how this character can be of use and what his major skills are. That should inform any writing that may be done. Present points of interest include: his animosity towards Imperials and Cyrodiil Redguards, a conjure spell that would summon a special kind of zombie (marsh zombies or possibly the zombie Argonians that I've seen elsewhere in a mod which look pretty good), a crossover mission that refers to anything he might appear in in ST (his near-immortality makes this plausible if he were to die in the other mod), his position as a 'baptist' that might make him a skills-trainer/teacher/general-source-of-information and, of course, his ready-made companion abilities as someone who could provide a foil (a kind of learning mentor) for the player's exposure to your own form of 'Argonian voodoo' (I'd also like to get someone to make a special spell or two for him).

The best policy is probably to keep these ideas in mind as you're working through your quests. Then we can merge him in as and when he's needed.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Wonderful! I wasn't aware you had this implemented already. Great minds think alike :yes: .

From my end of things, my priority is in finding someone who is prepared to skin a really cool NPC that looks something like the voodoo dude in my pix. I'm sure I can persuade brucevayne to make the voice mod a part of this project. Then it's just a case of getting my voice sorted for it and working out a script. If you like, I could get thinking about how this tarot card game might pan out in-game.

Once this is done, I'll probably have developed more of an idea on how this character can be of use and what his major skills are. That should inform any writing that may be done. Present points of interest include: his animosity towards Imperials and Cyrodiil Redguards, a conjure spell that would summon a special kind of zombie (marsh zombies or possibly the zombie Argonians that I've seen elsewhere in a mod which look pretty good), a crossover mission that refers to anything he might appear in in ST (his near-immortality makes this plausible if he were to die in the other mod), his position as a 'baptist' that might make him a skills-trainer/teacher/general-source-of-information and, of course, his ready-made companion abilities as someone who could provide a foil (a kind of learning mentor) for the player's exposure to your own form of 'Argonian voodoo' (I'd also like to get someone to make a special spell or two for him).

The best policy is probably to keep these ideas in mind as you're working through your quests. Then we can merge him in as and when he's needed.

Absolutely awesome. :yes:

We are in early building stage right now, but once we start quest development, thats definitely going in. Big Grin
Hehe, like a voodoo control spell, that makes the target run around in circles or dance while speaking jibberish?
If the target is attacked or spoken to it breaks the spell.
Whilst you make a hasty retreat. lol.

You could have the card as an ingredient, mix it with other ingredients into a 'throwable powder' which acts like a scroll spell.
A quick update...

Thanks for your support over here, guys! You've been much quicker to support his idea than those over on the standard forums and Tlo1048's encouraging ideas regarding Black Marsh voodoo has begun to affect the script that I'm writing for the character.

Nonetheless, I've started to announce a few ideas here: Potential Reward for Quest Developers but, more importantly, this thread: Anaster Marrowmir Samples demonstrates a few samples of the voice set that I'm working on.
More info...

I was just hoping that someone could either help out or direct me towards someone who might be able to do a job for me with the requests on the following threads.

This thread: Vistamorn concerns Rodan's plans for pirates in Blacklight where we should be able to create a shipping link with the southern ports near to Black Marsh. The parts in question are inside the huge post at the bottom of page 1 where there is the first section emboldened and labelled 'FAO Sandor & Black Marsh'. These requests are not urgent or vital but suggest carrying on the Caribbean theme by skinning and using pigs, turtles, hummingbirds and dragonflies. The second section is labelled 'FAO Black Marsh' and explains a possible connection between the 'ST Anaster' and the 'Black Marsh Anaster'.

And this thread: Potential Reward for Quest Developers - WIP at the bottom of the first page following brucevayne's comments is my request for someone to help out with skinning Anaster himself (the really big and important task!) along with his various accoutrements such as staff, features and special potions.

@ Morsyth - Your ideas would be very much welcome here, especially if you're able to implement them.

No pressure on anyone at all to do this for me, but any advice, guidance or contacts would be gratefully received.
Linking Piracy with Black Marsh sounds like a good idea, as there is supposed to be a pirate fortress in the marshes.
Pages: 1 2 3