Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: SHRAC05 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" Old discussion IG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'd like to claim this in consideration of this post: SHRAC06 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" [Claimed] . Hopefully, I can complete it later.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I'd like to claim this in consideration of this post: SHRAC06 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" [Claimed] . Hopefully, I can complete it later.
Sure, have fun! Smile

I sent a PM about the fort ruins.
Okay, I checked out the 'Solace' mod for objects that I'd need to create my 'star-o'-death' bandit ambush in the trees and it looks like I only need a few things. I've PM'd those involved to request the models (just a circular wooden platform and a large tree model) and would like to be able to activate the tree lift. I wondered if you'd be able to tell me whether this was possible without serious performance issues.

As in 'Solace', I was hoping to use a 'kennel/cage' attached to the 'ARChainPlatform01' activator model and operated by a switch or keyhole to draw the PC up to the tree-dwelling home of the leader of the bandits. This is what mealmoran appeared to attempt here but I don't think he got it to work for some reason. Essentially, it would be the same as the lift inside the Oblivion towers but with a chain-pulley which, I think, moves upwards in conjunction with the kennel. A rig at the top is then easily set up using vanilla OB models.

To recap this idea, tree sentries should be isolated in their trees and distributed in a star shape across the cells of the killing zone equipped with some pretty mean bows and arrows. If the central tree sentries are then connected up by bridges in a ring then the NPCs would congregate around the killing zone at the centre to cue up to take pot shots at the PC. In effect, the combat instensifies the further the PC strays into the 'star-o'-death'. If taken out with arrows, they could then respawn so that the PC could only realistically storm the bandit camp at a high level. Additionally, he could have the occasional bandit runner on the ground to contend with whilst the performance issues of having so many NPCs attacking the PC is dealt with by the sentries being restrained on the outer fringes of the star and not being able to gang up en masse.

Ultimately, I am hoping that Anaster (my NPC companion) or some other agency will inform the PC that the key to the leader's hut (accessible via the lift) is secretly tucked into a small (and possibly unseen) collar around the neck of his dog (either that or the damn dog's eaten it!). In which case, the PC could kill the dog, search it before the lift would have to be operated using some sort of keyhole. Meanwhile, the Bandit leader remains bed-stricken in his hut.

I had originally planned for the bandits to be guarding a Fort Ruin. The central tree-ring would have surrounded this. Of course, there's nothing saying I can't still have this as you could argue that the trees are an added defence to their securing of the Fort in the first place.

Anyone wishing to use this as part of their mission would then have to deactivate the respawning once completed. Is this do-able?

Your opinions and expertise is most definitely welcome, folks! :yes:
The company I work for got a very large order, so it sometimes takes a few days before I reply.

Okay, I checked out the 'Solace' mod for objects that I'd need to create my 'star-o'-death' bandit ambush in the trees and it looks like I only need a few things. I've PM'd those involved to request the models (just a circular wooden platform and a large tree model) and would like to be able to activate the tree lift.

As in 'Solace', I was hoping to use a 'kennel/cage' attached to the 'ARChainPlatform01' activator model and operated by a switch or keyhole to draw the PC up to the tree-dwelling home of the leader of the bandits.
The trees are vanilla trees, no permission needed.

The ARChainPlatform01 will work, you have to find a way to disguise the chains as shown in the screenshot.

In the Solace mod (the cage/platform) is used for decorative purposes.

The cage can't be used it's a static.
A possible solution: Change the mesh for the ARChainPlatform01.
Perhaps SACarrow would be willing to change it.

Please send the circular wooden platform mesh to Razorwing for checking as usual.

It's certainly possible to implement your proposal/ideas.
Quote:Originally posted by sandor
The company I work for got a very large order, so it sometimes takes a few days before I reply.

Np. I'm busy myself at the moment.

Quote:The trees are vanilla trees, no permission needed.

Good. I'll probably only need a small number of the giant oaks and maybe even just one (as long as it doesn't look out of place). But, if needed, do you mind if I splash a few normal oaks around as small sentry points? I will nonetheless try dealing with the trees that exist in the Region and see if they are large enough with high enough foliage so as to permit such a platform. They can't be too high anyway or else the archers will be out of range.

Quote:The ARChainPlatform01 will work, you have to find a way to disguise the chains as shown in the screenshot.

I'll come up with something, hopefully.

Quote:The cage can't be used it's a static.
A possible solution: Change the mesh for the ARChainPlatform01.
Perhaps SACarrow would be willing to change it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'changing the mesh', an actual file or just changing something in the render screen...? Anyway, I'll PM SACarrow and send that mesh to RW.

Thanks for the help and the good news :goodjob:
I will nonetheless try dealing with the trees that exist in the Region and see if they are large enough with high enough foliage so as to permit such a platform. They can't be too high anyway or else the archers will be out of range.
You could use the SilgradBlackGumSu05 or the TreeSwampCypressForest.
Just adjust the scale, in Solace they increased the scale by a factor 10.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'changing the mesh', an actual file or just changing something in the render screen...?
The ARChainPlatform01 is an activator. That mesh could be altered so that it looks like a platform with a cage.
Quote:Originally posted by sandor
You could use the SilgradBlackGumSu05 or the TreeSwampCypressForest.
Just adjust the scale, in Solace they increased the scale by a factor 10.

I was just planning on using the click-and-drag function with 's' pressed down. Is altering the 'factor' something different that perhaps achieves better results?

Thanks for the help with the mesh :goodjob:
I was just planning on using the click-and-drag function with 's' pressed down. Is altering the 'factor' something different that perhaps achieves better results?
If you double click on the object it allows you to set the scale manually. This is handy if you want to have e.g. 10 trees with exact the same scale.

Using the click-and-drag function with 's' pressed down works as well.
You have to estimate the final size of the tree.
Ibsen's Ghost: Perhaps the easiest solution would be if I made a new tree-platform model instead. From the screenshot and meshes you sent me it would appear the modder(s) behind the Solace mod retextured an Imperial City model to make their platform. Not that I want to trash the practice of retexturing, which can yield fantastic effects at times, but it would probably work better for us with a custom platform. I'm sure I can make a nice-looking one in a couple of hours, give or take depending on how many varieties you would like.

What I would need is a plugin with a test cell (named 'aaa' to make it easy to find) where you have placed the tree or trees you want to use as anchor for the platforms. Put an object - any object - at the approximated Z axis of where you want the platform to be on the tree. One object for each tree type, if there's more than one. With that information I can get started right away rather than spend time guessing or researching and will also ensure the outcome is in the vicinity of what you need.
Okay, thanks RW! :goodjob: When I get home this evening I should have time to locate the tree's ideal spot.

I will probably use the 'Solace' model as a generic test object and may have to use the giant oak that is used in that mod. But I'd like to stick to the regional presets so I'm going to try out the Cypress Swamp trees and the BC tree varieties. The platform will probably be fairly simple but, due to using the idea of the Bandit leader, the model may need to end up being compatible with some of the other models used in 'Solace' in order to create an inner ring with some sort of base for the Bandit leader.

Anyway, I'll post back soon.
Pages: 1 2 3