Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: TSRI0104 "Blackrose: The Stranger's House" (Claimed)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi jb3! Sorry, I've been out of town (and internet access) for the last couple of days.

As Ibsen said, I wanted to leave this one open to interpretation. But I was toying with the idea that the Stranger might actually be a shape-shifter of some kind. This would explain the contradictory reports about him.

But that still leaves us with more questions than answers. How did he gain these powers? Is he a native argonian magician, or a foreigner who learnt some of the ways of how to pass unseen in the Marsh?

My original thoughts when I came up with this claim was that he might somehow be both hunter and hunted. He's in Blackrose because it's a great place for people who want to stay hidden to lie low - and this both protects him, and brings him closer to the people he's trying to track down.

Those are just my thoughts. Perhaps you have better ideas?
Thanks, this casts more light on the concept of the Stranger. Your claim ideas are most often well thought out, even if they are sometimes lynchpins. I like what you came up with. It sounds both intriguing and mysterious.

Taking it into consideration:
1. he might have different types of robes in his house, to suit his shapeshifted sizes and bodybuilds.
2. he might have some secret room/rooms where he stores some of the items (magical items? ingreds? components?)
3. maybe even a secret tunnel with the exit outside of Blackrose, so he can leave unseen. And in case he is caught, he could use it as am escape route.

I'm only not sure how staying in Blackrose would bring him closer to his enemies. Are they in Blackrose? Or maybe he considers the place as a sort of a sanctuary, because he needs time and space. He could research something or build some of his powers, which he can use to his advantage later on.

Either way, that is a good base for the construction of the Stranger's house. So I have enough data to at least begin.
Thanks jb3! I usually try to come up with a backstory that makes the place interesting to plan and work on (as opposed to "Generic Worker House 03" syndrome which plagued parts of Cyrodiil), but still leave plenty of room for whoever takes the claim to take it in their own direction if they wish to.

1. Sounds like a good idea, and would add the "odd" feel to the house.
2. Given that the city is built on top of layers of ruins, a whole secret area would most definitely be recommended. Big Grin Perhaps a basement of some kind?
3. That could fit in quite nicely with the underground (flooded) ruins. Given that he may be a shapeshifter, there could perhaps be quite a long flooded tunnel

Hmm. Good point. I was thinking that maybe whoever he's hunting used to be in the prison, (the lore mentions there was a breakout about a year before OB started), and he's come here to use it as a base for expeditions to track the guy into the marshes. Although maybe you're right, it could be just a convenient place where he can do experiments undisturbed and hone his powers.
It's taking shape really nicely. :goodjob:

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Thanks jb3! I usually try to come up with a backstory that makes the place interesting to plan and work on (as opposed to "Generic Worker House 03" syndrome which plagued parts of Cyrodiil), but still leave plenty of room for whoever takes the claim to take it in their own direction if they wish to.
That's well done. I think you've mastered to keep the balance just right: develop the background, so there is a good base to start with & leave something to the modder as well.

2. Given that the city is built on top of layers of ruins, a whole secret area would most definitely be recommended. Big Grin Perhaps a basement of some kind?
A basement sounds exactly like the right place. :yes:

3. That could fit in quite nicely with the underground (flooded) ruins. Given that he may be a shapeshifter, there could perhaps be quite a long flooded tunnel.
We seem to think much alike. I was actually thinking flooded ruins and flooded tunnels. Raise the water level in some of these cells, make it look a bit murky to reflect the overall atmosphere of Blackrose.

Hmm. Good point. I was thinking that maybe whoever he's hunting used to be in the prison, (the lore mentions there was a breakout about a year before OB started), and he's come here to use it as a base for expeditions to track the guy into the marshes. Although maybe you're right, it could be just a convenient place where he can do experiments undisturbed and hone his powers.
I like your initial idea a lot. Consider that I've recently finished the Comoclicus claim (well, the Imperial ex Prison Governor), perhaps we could link these two plots? Did you take a look at what I put in the Governor's claim? Read his diary, maybe we could connect these two cobwebs nicely? Big Grin

So let's see... how about something like the following.

The Stranger and his comrade worked together as a team some time ago. They had common goals, plans and arranged a theft. They stole an artifact of great power and value and that effected their lifes in a major way. That's why the Stranger gained the shapeshifting powers.

Yet they were careless and they were both caught and imprisoned. In desperation, the Stranger "sold" his comrade in exchange for his freedom. (maybe Comoclicus granted him freedom for his confession? Maybe that was part of the accusations against him?) He felt safe untill the break-out. Then he knew the guy would be after him.

His comrade hid the artifact and he was the only person, who knew the location. That's why the Stranger needed time, as he did much research to pinpoint the location of the artifact. He was about to find that out when the break-out took place. So now both guys are after the artifact again and they also hunt each other. A player walks into it and becomes the "third party".

What do you think?

Edit: Wait, I've just realized that the break-out took place a year ago. So taking that into consideration, maybe someone found the artifact and it was moved some place else, so his comrade couldn't grab it immediately after he got out of prison? Therefore they both needed time to do some research.
It seems we do think alike! The interesting part of your story is that it suggests that there might be another shapeshifter on the loose... who of course could look like anyone...

As for the tunnel, I believe that Ibsen has already included a murky water texture for precisely this purpose. Check it out!
I take it you already chose the NPC for that shapeshifter's role.

Do you want to connect this plot to the ex Governor?
Quote:Originally posted by jb3
I take it you already chose the NPC for that shapeshifter's role.

Not really. I just realised that we could use any NPC that already exists, either in Blackrose or elsewhere in the marshes.

Quote:Originally posted by jb3Do you want to connect this plot to the ex Governor?

Why not? Go for it. The ex-governor still claims that he was somehow "set up" to take the fall for the break-out, and wants to prove this. Perhaps he and the Stranger might decide that their goals coincide somehow?
The ex-governor still claims that he was somehow "set up" to take the fall for the break-out, and wants to prove this. Perhaps he and the Stranger might decide that their goals coincide somehow?
Yes, good ideas.

Deeza, I modified some elements of the concept of the ex Governor a little. Just a little. Now relax, relax, don't panic. Big Grin I think it's mostly in accordance with the claim description, yet somewhat expanded. I didn't emphasise the fact that he was set up (yet I didn't deny that). I presented him as corrupted and power-hungry. He started plotting and tried to arrange another break-out as well as set some nasty evidence against his sucessor, a young Imperial sent from the Imprial City as a replacement. That's the reason, which still keeps him in a place like Blackrose.

Is it OK like that? Are you OK with it in principle?

Please pretty please, with sugar on top: refer to Sophoclius Diary to see how I described it. Big Grin

Taking above into consideration, would it make sense that he and the Stranger could find it beneficial to cooperate?
Ah, but I only said that he claimed he was set up. I left it up to the future developer to decide whether or not that was true... or whether, even if it was false, that there weren't other dubious things he did do....

The claim descriptions are intended first and foremost as guidelines. If there's something that's absolutely essential to the character, it will be clearly stated (eg. a devout Dunmer priest won't have any Imperial Cult books lying around, unless perhaps he's a writer and he's critiquing them). Otherwise, feel free to go beyond what's described, or even, if you have a much better idea, alter the character (although if you decide to, it would be best to ask first to check what you're changing isn't plot-critical).
Yes, I fully agree. Your claim descriptions are really good and excellent guidelines!

If you ask me, the way you do it is just perfect.

Let me compare to the ST claim, which I did, where there was nothing at all in terms of story lynchpins. I'm not saying this was worse, just more difficult. And the NPC came out somewhat flat, I think. You have no strings to pull, nothing to use as a base. You have to do it all on your own. Certainly this means more freedom, but sometimes it's tough to start. You know what I mean?

So... are you OK with the way I described Sophoclius? Would you add/remove/modify something?
Pages: 1 2 3