Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Status ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I have the ESM.

It says to update the assets with ST update 6. As far as I know with the latest realease of the ST BSA 1.2, it has update 6. How does that work then?
Quote:Originally posted by Zurke

I am not a lawyer but it seems to me that making something similar to something else would not be illegal.

1. I have not seen the models but I am sure they are not exact or you probably couldn't use them in any mod.
2. Recreating a balmora in the likeness of balmora is not illegal.
3. taking the dialogue and using it probably is illegal.
4. Reusing tes3 character names might be an issue not sure, but that should not stop modding. Names are a dime a dozen.
That is how I see it as well.
Are their Hlaalu Building models available and Hlaalu Tilesets ?

If so then I do not understand the hold up other than time to do it

And it appears that some of you are in agreement with this and are taking the reigns and going :goodjob:

Enjoy
Bob
I've been thinking.

Wat is the bigest motivating factor to use the x1.5 scale in stead of the x1 scale?

As you say, a larger scale would mean more buildings (new npc's to create, new interiors to "invent") OR larger exteriors. Maybe landscape editing issues...

But larger exteriors would take te sense out of the bigger scale. I mean, everything would just be 1.5 x as big...

So is there a good reason for the scale, or is it just for originality? Because 1x would be SO much easier to do and still leaves options to do something speacial with the cities. (à la better cities for oblivion)

Greetz

PS: 1x scale does mean the same sise as in TES 3 right? Otherwise the above would be redundant.
Quote:Originally posted by GiPSy
I've been thinking.

Wat is the bigest motivating factor to use the x1.5 scale in stead of the x1 scale?

As you say, a larger scale would mean more buildings (new npc's to create, new interiors to "invent"Wink OR larger exteriors. Maybe landscape editing issues...

But larger exteriors would take te sense out of the bigger scale. I mean, everything would just be 1.5 x as big...

So is there a good reason for the scale, or is it just for originality? Because 1x would be SO much easier to do and still leaves options to do something speacial with the cities. (à la better cities for oblivion)

Greetz

PS: 1x scale does mean the same sise as in TES 3 right? Otherwise the above would be redundant.

I was thinking as you are that 1x was enough and to change the 'screenplay'. But too much work has been done on a 1.5x(to do it again) and that was the decision to do it that way. I want to keep the course of the previous core where possible. If I am going to do the exterior of balmora then I am going to try and do it in 1x items and try and keep the resemblance.

I recieved a pm from a previous core member which said that everything is here to start. The map, the tiles and npc. What's better is that since Razorwing issued the 1.2 BSA no need for all the updates and swapping this for that.

edit: typo
I thought 1.5x only referred to landscape size and had nothing to do with model sizes. Or am I the confused one now?

Steve
Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
I thought 1.5x only referred to landscape size and had nothing to do with model sizes. Or am I the confused one now?

Steve

Don't be. It makes sense that the increased size was for adding area for potential modding.
Quote:Originally posted by GiPSy
I've been thinking.

As you say, a larger scale would mean more buildings (new npc's to create, new interiors to "invent") OR larger exteriors. Maybe landscape editing issues...

Greetz

The biggest motivation in using the larger scale was, insofar as I remember it, to avoid the perception that this was a clone, and the second motivation was to make VVardenfell more of a wilderness, to give it more of a "frontier" feel.

The towns were not intended to necessarily be bigger, just the distances between them were to be bigger. About the same "civilized" content, but about three times the "uncivilized" content.

That's how I remember it, anyway.
Hi folks,

I've been without internet for over a month, moved in to a fancy new apartment recently, but I'm connected now.

Muchus confusion reigns judging by this thread it seems. Wink

The landscape is exactly 1.5x the size of the original landscape, so the tallest peak is 1.5x higher than in TES3, and each town would have 1.5x1.5 times as much area to build on (that's 2.25 times as much space to work with). Just copying the existing town layouts directly on to a 1x landscape almost wouldn't be a lot of point.

It does not mean that all the buildings, NPCs etc should be 1.5x bigger, because I'm sure you'll agree that'd look pretty silly in places - it works for temples, forts, trees and fauna, but not for houses and huts etc. So everything should be built at normal (1x) scale, the increased size is there to make the settlements larger and increase the time it takes for a player to traverse the island (which at normal scale is a pretty space - an agile TES4 player makes light work of it all, especially on horseback).

You'll notice that the master resource file has a batch file (mentioned in the Readme document) to generate TES4 content from the TES3 file and place it back on the landscape. This is for fun and reference only, we cannot use it for modding. Bethesda have been quite clear on the illegality of re-using artwork. It isn't something logical or up for debate unfortunately, many have tried, but legal stuff lives in an wicked world of black and white. We were given permission to use the heightmap. Other ESP resources have been allowed in other projects (such as books), so we've taken the same liberty with NPC names for now (it seems so trivial, but technically we haven't asked) - our line has been drawn there. Besides, although the TES3 content is nice, it's of antiquated and one would hope to use higher detailed models and textures.

Dave_91 is the only other active leader I've seen for a while, InsanitySorrow is technically the other joint leader.

Zurke - please go ahead and make something of Balmora. Smile We've had an occasional flurry of interest every few months, then things die down, but previously there's always been some other reason to stop people working on things, but not this time. There's supposed to be a claims system, but I don't see anyone managing it, so I'm very happy for you and anyone else to grab the resources and start making something of it all. :yes:

I'm not commiting to any significant modding work myself until this project is well underway, because trying to juggle both creative and technical work with RL would become too much of a chore.

If anyone's still confused about anything, please just ask. And thanks for the renewed interest, :banana:

Lightwave
Good to see you Lightwave. Everyone was saying you were dead Smile.

Just kidding. But considering you know all about this puppy I am extremely happy you are up and about. I was almost certain this mod was about to topple over so that is why I am showing my interest the way I am. I am matching balmora according to shadow on the exterior walls, walk ways and bridges. I think it will be easier to understand the rest of the layout with those in place. The buildings can be placed in there respective position in relation to each other as they were in TES3 not according to the walls, walkways or bridges. I think the resemblance will be unmistakeable.

I had issue with setting up the esp stuff. But I dont need it I am just going by the tes3 CS.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12