Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Shiver-Tail presents: "NEA TSAESCI"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I wish gamebryo engine had rope-physics like CryEngine2...
Quote:Originally posted by ra5946
......Nick, do you know how I could go about rigging up a realistic flag/banner/cloth? I assume I could just link a couple bones, but is it possible to have them react to the wind? I tried to find some models in vanilla (I thought I saw some signs that moved in the wind) but no luck.

Not to steal Nick's spotlight or anything in his answer, but I found something in collision data for nifs that might be relevant. Go in NIfskope, and to the bhkrigidbody in Block Details. The very last line of data at the bottom, I think it's called "Unknown Int 9", if you hover your mouse over it until a small window pops up, says some values that might correspond to getting the nif respond to wind (it literally mentions wind and getting it to work).

Granted I've never used tried to get anything to react to wind before, nor messed with that data field, but it's just something I've noticed when working with collision. Also scripting *might* be involved - so look in CS for those signs that you say sway in the wind, and see if any scripts are attached to them with animations and wind reaction terms. If not, than maybe the collision data field is involved after all, or something else is making it work.

Nick might know something more, so wait for his answer too.

Koniption
try looking at the "shipflag" model (under activator). It may or may not help.
Quote:Originally posted by ra5946
Nick, do you know how I could go about rigging up a realistic flag/banner/cloth? I assume I could just link a couple bones, but is it possible to have them react to the wind? I tried to find some models in vanilla (I thought I saw some signs that moved in the wind) but no luck.
Such a thing should be possible - the setup would be similar to the shop signs, but the movement would be less restricted. Getting it to look realistic would be the tricky part. I'm confident I could get a flag functioning in game, but the appearence might not be all that great.

I think a string of bones linked by constraints (ragdoll) would do the job, perhaps several strings to get a more realistic movement.

I don't have any time to try this, however, plus I can't actually run Oblivion so testing is not possible. Sometime in the New Year both of these problems should be resolved, so I could take a shot at it then.

Koniption might want to give it a go, she definitely has more knowledge than me when it comes to collision. All of my experience with contraints has come from making creatures, which works a bit differently.

Koniption

Checking in the CS is not something I can do at the moment. If you fancy playing around with this idea I'd be interested in learning how it goes. I think the idea I suggested above should work, if you'd like me to exlaborate on it then I'd be happy to do so.
Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
...I think a string of bones linked by constraints (ragdoll) would do the job, perhaps several strings to get a more realistic movement....
Koniption might want to give it a go...

Koniption

Checking in the CS is not something I can do at the moment. If you fancy playing around with this idea I'd be interested in learning how it goes. I think the idea I suggested above should work, if you'd like me to exlaborate on it then I'd be happy to do so.

Nick_op,

Yeah, I can play around with it and see if I can get it to work. I think Oblivion already has something similar with those carpets that hang on walls (can't remember the name for them).I can't do anything tonight, though, I'm going out to dinner *yum, smack*

I'd like you to send me a PM, nick_op, where you elaborate on your idea for it.

Also, it depends on if you want vertical hanging flags to flap in the wind or flags that flap horizontally in the wind (like the USA flag). For vertical flags, ragdoll and bones should work ok. For flags to flap in the wind horizontally, I think animation may be involved and a script to detect wind..not quite sure, but I can see what I can find out. Bones on havoked items that respond to gravity, always tend to be pulled by the game's "gravity' downward; that's why horizontal flags might not be able to use ragdoll, but need animations instead.

Koniption
Wow
the last 4 posts just went straight over my head. ?(
I have an idea to make snakes adn serpents of all sizes...
Oblivion has these chains (used by the swining mace trap for example) that have phisics (you can manipulate them, etc.), right? What if we create a snake that is nothing more than a head floating a but above ground and drags a "chain" that looks like a snake-body behind him? It doesn't allow complex animations, like a snake climbing a treee, but hey, it's the beginning of something, right?
Do you think that is possible? Do you think it is rubbish? Let me know, i'll try to come up with something else...
That might work Shiver. What all would we do with that?
Quote:Originally posted by Shiver-Tail
Do you think that is possible? Do you think it is rubbish? Let me know, i'll try to come up with something else...
It's a nice idea, but it won't work as it is not possible to have live havok on a conscious actor.
It's not strange either, if it was possible hair would also work that way and be longer than now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5