Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: RE: SHRC04 "Fishermen's Island" [Old discussion SACarrow]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
:lol:
I have restarted FishIsland and at this point have finished cluttering Llotho's house and am starting on Unril's. Once I have full cluttering of the 3 interiors and all 5 characters created with simple dialogue and on-island AI, I will submit for review. I'll re-use this thread for progress reports, requests and questions. I have one R and two Qs: Smile
  • Implements to go with fireplaces. I can think of a poker, a little ash shovel and an ash bin. I know I model, but clutter doesn't seen to work for me. Smile
  • Can I use Razorwing's fake-idle fishing rod here?
  • In the absence of a good way to shuttle NPCs around with boats, I was wondering if the outhouses could be used in scripts to teleport NPCs on & off the island. I think of outhouses because at least we could hide the teleport effect. Of course boats would still be far preferable.

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks for the update. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
  1. Implements to go with fireplaces. I can think of a poker, a little ash shovel and an ash bin. I know I model, but clutter doesn't seen to work for me. Smile
  2. Can I use Razorwing's fake-idle fishing rod here?
  3. In the absence of a good way to shuttle NPCs around with boats, I was wondering if the outhouses could be used in scripts to teleport NPCs on & off the island. I think of outhouses because at least we could hide the teleport effect. Of course boats would still be far preferable.

Thanks,
Steve
#1 Razorwing what do you think?
#2 That's fine unless Razorwing wants to use it as an unique item.
#3 As a placeholder?
Quote:#3 As a placeholder?

I was thinking of a setup wherein an NPC could go into an outhouse and via script teleport to another outhouse on the mainland. I'm thinking that if workable this would be a slightly more immersion-friendly setup.

Also I'll check out the new SI anims to see if there are any workaday ones that would work here.

Thanks,
Steve
Quote:#3 As a placeholder?

I was thinking of a setup wherein an NPC could go into an outhouse and via script teleport to another outhouse on the mainland. I'm thinking that if workable this would be a slightly more immersion-friendly setup.

Also I'll check out the new SI anims to see if there are any workaday ones that would work here.

Thanks,
Steve
I am no Lore expert but if teleport scrolls can be used why not an outhouse. Smile

Regarding the anims.
I assume you saw this post, if you find other interesting anims I would like to add these as "general" anims to the esm.
The question of how NPC's will cross rivers and other bodies of water is one I'm still thinking about - because it affects Ebbedin and other places in ST. Ideally, we'd have something like rowboats or ferries that worked somehow with the NPC's AI, but I don't think we have the necessary animations for a rowboat, and I've yet to figure out an efficient way to get actors to move while standing on a moving object - like a ferry.

I was also thinking about using invisible teleport doors, but only until a more suitable solution was found.
Quote:...but I don't think we have the necessary animations for a rowboat...

Initially I'd be happy if the NPC sat on the rowboat as it magically moved. I've seen several attempts at a rowboat mount, but I don't believe anything workable has come of those efforts.

What I was envisioning in the interim was a setup wherein the loos at either end are still usable for toilet AI (e.g. Llotho) but if the AI called for travel to the mainland, then a "portkey" object could be enabled to allow transport to the other WC. Does that even make sense?

Steve
How about a toe rope. I suppose across long distances of water it may be impractical. But across shorter less wide bodies it may work.

The lift in the Forgotten Garden made me think of this. Could that mechanism be applied to a boat or type of raft?

@Steve

If the outhouse is applied for teleport could we have a reflecting light on top and a wooshing sound applied, like Doctor Who Smile
Initially I'd be happy if the NPC sat on the rowboat as it magically moved. I've seen several attempts at a rowboat mount, but I don't believe anything workable has come of those efforts.
I was thinking of trying something like that, like a rowboat as a Furniture-type object (like a chair) with the animated-type collision, all scripted to move from one location to another... but I'd like to try it out on a regular chair first to see how the game would treat an NPC on moving furniture.

What I was envisioning in the interim was a setup wherein the loos at either end are still usable for toilet AI (e.g. Llotho) but if the AI called for travel to the mainland, then a "portkey" object could be enabled to allow transport to the other WC. Does that even make sense?
It makes sense, I don't know if it would work though because in a "Travel" package without subspaces the NPC might go for a more direct route through the water (I haven't tested it, so I'm just guessing based on what I recall from NPC behavior). If that is indeed the case, you might be able to work around it by having the NPC "Find" and activate an object that teleports him or her to the mainland, but have it set up so the NPC only activates it once (if necessary, either through a "Once Daily" package flag or through an immediate script call to EVP with the next AI package - presumably a "Travel" - being the only valid one in those conditions).

If you needed to go with the NPC "Find"ing an object to get teleportation, the scripts for the Forgotten Garden entrances/trigger zones might be worth a look. Just have it so that instead of running "OnTrigger", it does it "OnActivate".

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
The lift in the Forgotten Garden made me think of this. Could that mechanism be applied to a boat or type of raft?
I believe it has a special type of animated collision, but Steve and I tried it on a rowboat at some point earlier on, and it didn't quite work. The collision moved, but not the NPC on top of the collision.

I think the difference is that the lift is an animated object that is designed to move, but the rowboat was being scripted to move.

black[/hr]
EDIT: Here is some older discussion. I like sandor's idea for ferries with interiors because it's simple, and it doesn't interfere with the player using those ferries. I don't know if it can apply here though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7