Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Soluthis0909 "The Daily Cuttle Office" [Finished]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:Originally posted by Shinigami42
I'm still kind of new to modding, but I'll take it if no one else wants it. I can't promise a high-quality quest though.

Great :goodjob:

Have you read the Introduction to Silgrad Tower article? If you have then I noticed I had forgotten to update it. The old text encouraged readers to download our old wip release Silgrad Tower 2.5 - which won't do any harm, but not much good either. Please go ahead and download the latest internal esm if you haven't done so yet. I'll go ahead and send you the bsa link.

There isn't a starter cell for this claim, which makes it slightly more difficult to get started on it. But not by much, and here's a run-down of the process.
  1. When you're all set with the main esm and bsa archives please load up the cell "Soluthis0405". This is a starter cell for a claim similar to yours.
  2. Click an object and hit the 'T' key to go to the top-down view.
  3. Zoom out until you see all the cell contents, and left-click-and-drag out a rectangle over all the objects.
  4. Press CTRL+C.
  5. Go to the World > Cells menu option.
  6. Right-click in the cell list of the popup window and choose 'New'. Write Soluthis0705 as the Form Editor ID.
  7. On the Common Data tab, set the Music Type to Public.
  8. On the Lighting tab, set the Ambient light settings to 70/80/90.
  9. On the Interior Data tab, name the cell Daily Cuttle Office
  10. Click Ok to close the popup window.
  11. Load up the cell.
  12. Go to the menu option Edit > Paste in place[/list=1]
    And presto you've made yourself a starter cell. Big Grin If it won't work just let me know and I'll make a plugin that you can continue from.
I just duped the cell, I hope that's not a problem? I'll make changes as needed.

Edit: I duped the cell and made the ambient light etc. settings fine, but I cannot open the cell. That's the reason I had to dupe it. It causes my CS to freeze up. I have 1.2, but no matter what I did, if I try to open 0405, or the clone of 0405 I made, it freezes up.

I haven't tried any other cells though. This whole thing is really annoying, as the load time for the two master files (Oblivion and Silgrad) is terribly long.

Am I doing something wrong?
I don't know what went wrong.

I attached an esp which contains your starter cell.
Shinigami42: It could be related to the bsa's not being installed correctly. Could you check out any given cell in the worldspace SilgradTowerLand and see what happens? If you recieve missing model errors and/or see exclamation marks, that's a sure sign it's related to the bsa's, and if so please review the mini-website's information again. Smile
I figured out my problem. It probably couldn't open because I messed up the installation of CS 1.2. After reinstalling that, it could open the interiors. But I was running as administrator. And I wasn't getting any meshes.

I managed to fix the problem by reinstalling the ESM, however I think the problem was really that the administrator had no access to the BSAs....Come to think of it, that makes perfect sense, since the .ini files are in MyDocuments, and thus inaccessible to the administrator. I'd been running as administrator, but this time I forgot. Problem solved.

So my problems are solved, and I'll get started in the morning.

Is it a problem if I make the NPCs sleep and eat in the office (as I said, I'm new to modding, so I'm unsure if I could make homes for each of them), or should I use the whole interior for printing presses and paper bolts?

And what does it take to make an NPC "work"? Do I just create AI packages taking them to the office, and then making them wander around?

And thanks for the starter cell, Sandor.

And what does it take to make an NPC "work"? Do I just create AI packages taking them to the office, and then making them wander around?
I think that is the best solution because we don't have other available anims.

Quote:From the OP
Three NPCs work in the office, and they all have homes in Soluthis not far from here. One is an Editor and in charge of the office, the other a printer, and the third a journalist.
As Razorwing wrote in the OP the NPC's have homes where they live, so normally they would sleep over there. These are separate claims. I don't know if these interiors were completed (I have to check).

Just add the basic AI, eating at the 'office' is fine.
I can't find the printing press...I'm looking in WorldObjects > Static > ST > Furniture > Dunmer, and it isn't there...Is it the wrong directory?

I've got the paper bolts, just no printing presses....
I can't find the printing press...I'm looking in WorldObjects > Static > ST > Furniture > Dunmer, and it isn't there...Is it the wrong directory?

I've got the paper bolts, just no printing presses....

It isn't. My bad. I had sent the model to the person who first claimed this location so he could add it in his plugin, but as luck would have it he didn't finish the claim and the model wasn't hooked up. I had forgotten that when I wrote the claim description and just translated the model's folder location to what the location would be in the CS.

Please extract the contents of the attached archive to your Oblivion\Data folder. Then create a new Construction Set entry using your modder abbreviation and hook up the printing press. (The model is in the bsa, so extracting the nif file is just to make it easier to create the cs entry.)

Ideally the employees of the newspaper would have AI behaviour outside of this claim just to add life and movement to the city, and having homes separate of the office would provide a natural reason for them to add ambience to the city exterior with their presence. However it would almost be a plus if the employees were taken from homes in the vicinity of the office than modded from scratch because an NPC with no AI operations outside their home is a problem in my personal opinion, and if you can give them that AI behaviour by making them work in your claim one could solve two problems in one go; getting ready-made NPCs and solving their isolation.
I'll get that new object set up ASAP, but just a question...

How can I find which buildings are nearby the office ?(?

Silly question, I know, but I don't even know where in Soluthis the Office is, as I don't believe it was on the map in the OP.
I'll get that new object set up ASAP, but just a question...

How can I find which buildings are nearby the office ?(?

Silly question, I know, but I don't even know where in Soluthis the Office is, as I don't believe it was on the map in the OP.

It's definitely not a silly question. The map in the original post is dated. Much more so than I realized when I wrote what I did in the posts above. Finding this claim in the city exterior would be a challenge for anyone given the many ways the old map differs from the reality of the Construction Set, let alone finding houses nearby.

In light of that I would like to scrap the whole idea of employees living in nearby houses. The part of the city where the office currently is is also in the process of being reworked into a child worldspace, meaning the exterior building will likely wind up elsewhere in the city when I get to the area it's currently in. When that time comes I will accomodate for the idea of the employees in your claim having their own homes by positioning it near unclaimed homes and then turning those homes into employee homes in the claim description.

Please go ahead and just give the characters in your claim day schedules and skip any particular AI behaviour between the hours of, say, 21 and 07. They won't need beds or other domestic components in the office. Later on I, or the persons who would pick up the future house claims I mentioned, would fill in the missing AI behaviour during nights. Smile

(If you're curious then the current location of the office is in the cell SoluthisTempleLakeNEE in the worldspace STLand. It's the Hole building sitting on foundation blocks.)

blue[/HR]

Shinigami42 you were last active on 07.10.2008 23:18.
If you want to reclaim this interior when not claimed, please do so.

sandor
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6