Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Ebb11 - Relneth's Repairs (Claimed, Finished)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I PMed ImaJunryou, and to summarize his reply: major RL developments and two blown-up hard drives. (that's been going around like the flu X() he's still very interested, but it may be a couple of months.

Steve
Thank you Steve. Smile

IJ's usually pretty good about posting here after someone else posts, so I was a little worried we lost another modder with a lot of visible talent. That and I saw it's been ages since I updated my review. I was afraid that I might have out-waited him...
I'm sorry about that, ImaJunryou. Sad

I'm also sorry to hear about your computer problems. And they HAVE been spreading like the flu. One of the first friends I talked to after Christmas told me that he spent his days off trying to fix his hard drives because of a virus.

Any time you can get around to the claim would be fine. Smile If you could post status updates for your situation every now and then just to let us know you're still interested, that would be great. I should have done the same thing with the review. I'll get around to your file, it's just really busy right now.

Thanks for letting Steve know what's going on.
Alright, I looked through that quest dialogue and wrote a review for when you're ready to work on it again! :banana:

You know what you're doing, I'll give you that. I wasn't too picky about looking at every single thing in there because of that. Smile If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now: I'm impressed at the amount of work that's gone into this.

So... here are my notes:

black[/hr]

STIJEbb11RelnethQuest02:

- I noticed you had two identical (unless I missed something, in which case let me know) INFO entries for each item topic, one for the 45 stage and another for the 85 stage. It would be more efficient to use an OR comparison and simply get rid of the other one, like I've done in the screenshots.

Other than that - for Relneth's quest - there's not much I can say other than it's very, very well done. :applause: I put a few suggestions at the end of this review which you can read.

STIJEbb11OkanDialogue:

GREETING

"Welcome to Relneth's Repairs! Oh, its you! Thank you for bringing us new repair hammers. Your help was invaluable! Take this."
- "its" should be "it's". Generally, "its" is a possessive pronoun like "his" or "her" while "it's" is the shortened form of "it is". That's how I tell the difference. Smile

"The best in Ebbedin, though to be honest, that isn't saying much."
- I would separate "The best in Ebbedin." from "Though to be honest, that isn't saying much."

"Care to go mushroom hunting with me? I'm sure you have better things to do. What can I help you with?"
- I would just add "Wait," to the sentence "I'm sure you..."

STIJEbb11Alchemy
- I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any entries for STIJEbb11OkanQuestTopic to start Okan-Shei's quest. If there are, I can't find them. Confusedhrug:

STIJEbb11Ebbedin
- I hate having to ask this, but could you reduce the number of responses here? Mainly for memory reasons (those voice files would take a bit of space :O)? I'm thinking it should look more like STIJEbb11EbbedinLocations.

STIJEbb11LittleAdvice
- I just have to say I like it, very interesting! :goodjob:
- Just for good modding etiquette, put a random end flag on the last random entry here

STIJEbb11Relneth
- See my comment on STIJEbb11Ebbedin.

STIJEbb11RelnethsRepairs
- Add a random end flag to the last random response

STIJEbb11OkanQuest01:

STIJEbb11OkanQuest01NoHave
- A 15 disposition hit might be a little bit harsh! Big Grin I think 5 for all should be fine, you should be able to achieve this with only one INFO

STIJEbb11OkanQuest01YesHave
"Ah! Yes, it is all here! You amaze me! I can not thank you enough!"
- use "cannot" or "can't" instead of "can not"

black[/hr]

Flag the quest NPCs as essential.

Quest targets need to be put in (map and compass markers that guide you to quest locations) for the stages involving going to a specific person.

Also watch for good places to start and stop your non-repeatable, non-dialogue quests. No need to have quests running when they don't need to. Smile

Not sure if I already mentioned this somewhere, but your quests don't have have quest icons. I can do that for you later if you haven't unpacked your BSAs.

black[/hr]

A few suggestions for Relneth's scrap quest... and whether you decide to follow them is entirely up to you: Smile

- I think that after three shipments, most players would find collecting armour and bringing it back to Relneth tedious. Instead of having so many smaller rewards before getting to the really large ones, perhaps it would be a good idea to alternate between the smaller ones and the larger ones. That way, there's always something interesting ahead that the player can expect.

- Next, perhaps only one type of scrap would be better than having separate categories for the different types of armour. Just a 'general' kind of scrap just to avoid possible frustration with being unable to find a specific type of armour. Having said that, I'm having second thoughts about limiting this quest to the lower level armours. If you want to use the more durable ones (including Dwemer), go for it. Of course, if you like it how it is now, you should know there's nothing wrong with it. Wink

black[/hr]

Have you playtested it yet?
Yes! It is indeed true! I'm alive, and well! :banana:

My computer's back and working, I've got the internet back (sorta... Its reliable, but a bit slower now), and I'm all set back up for Oblivion goodness Big Grin

I've got another week or two of big RL stuff (gettin' married, woo!), and then once I've gotten my feet wet with the construction set again and read up on what all I've missed, things should start moving again! Yay!

Sorry for keepin' y'all in the dark Sad but I'm back and Relneth will be on his way again Real Soon Now™ :goodjob:
You're alive! Big Grin Thank you so much for remembering this claim for so long. Smile

And it seems like things are going very well for you. Congratz! :applause:
Whew, the majority of the chaos and mayhem that has surrounded me has finally died down. I opened up the CS last night, and poked around Ebb11 for a little bit. I forgot just how much I did with this crazy thing... So much for a simple shop with a simple shopkeep :eek:

Anywho, I've begun poking at the various dialog stuff that TID mentioned in his lovely review. I could have swore that my version of the mod already addressed the dual INFO entries in Relneth's second quest, but either I lost that version with the crash/burn of my drives, or I'm simply mad. Either way, shouldn't be too hard to fix Big Grin

I'll see about cutting back on the greetings and whatnot. I must admit, those were my favorite part of this whole thing, even though I ran out of creative steam part of the way through... Still, no biggie.

Far as the quest icon goes, I don't have my BSA's unpacked, so if your offer's still open, please put them on your (likely very long, I'm sure) todo list Wink

A couple of questions, since I've been gone for so long, and am sorta out-of-it... Do I need the new Silgrad BSA, and the latest modder's ESM to continue work on Ebb11? Will slapping either in tweak with anything that I should be aware of? The BSA may be a problem, as my new-fangled internet connection works for about 45 minutes to an hour at a time, and that BSA clocks in at a 12 hour download Sad

Anywho, barring any sudden explosions, or more hardware issues, I'm back and busy.
Welcome back. Big Grin I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Life has a way of creeping up on you like that. There's an expression I heard a while back, I think it fits here: "It never rains when it pours." I'm glad things are working out for you - they're starting to do the same for me as well.

Quote:Originally posted by ImaJunryou
Far as the quest icon goes, I don't have my BSA's unpacked, so if your offer's still open, please put them on your (likely very long, I'm sure) todo list Wink

It's not a problem at all. Just upload your current ESP whenever you're ready and I'll post a new version with the quest linked to its icon.

A couple of questions, since I've been gone for so long, and am sorta out-of-it... Do I need the new Silgrad BSA, and the latest modder's ESM to continue work on Ebb11? Will slapping either in tweak with anything that I should be aware of? The BSA may be a problem, as my new-fangled internet connection works for about 45 minutes to an hour at a time, and that BSA clocks in at a 12 hour download Sad

I don't *think* there should be any problems if you load your ESP with the updated ESM and BSA, but post here if there are and we'll see about fixing them.

If you can't get the BSA, let us know and see what you can do using the older files. There shouldn't be a lot of problems (I hope), but things will look much nicer with the BSA.

You should use the latest ESM.

With the new ESM, Ebbedin should have a proper pathgrid (it's from a while back).

Anywho, barring any sudden explosions, or more hardware issues, I'm back and busy.

Don't forget to have fun. Wink
I'll worry about the ESM and BSA this weekend when I can leech from a friend's internet connection ^.^ In the meantime, I've been hammering out some of the dialog things you pointed at in your wonderful review ^^

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon

STIJEbb11RelnethQuest02:

- I noticed you had two identical (unless I missed something, in which case let me know) INFO entries for each item topic, one for the 45 stage and another for the 85 stage. It would be more efficient to use an OR comparison and simply get rid of the other one, like I've done in the screenshots.

Fixed. To be honest, I thought I already did fix that... Some of them will retain the two INFO's as they differ in result scripts, but those that could were trimmed as per your example.

Quote:STIJEbb11OkanDialogue:

GREETING

"Welcome to Relneth's Repairs! Oh, its you! Thank you for bringing us new repair hammers. Your help was invaluable! Take this."
- "its" should be "it's". Generally, "its" is a possessive pronoun like "his" or "her" while "it's" is the shortened form of "it is". That's how I tell the difference. Smile

"The best in Ebbedin, though to be honest, that isn't saying much."
- I would separate "The best in Ebbedin." from "Though to be honest, that isn't saying much."

"Care to go mushroom hunting with me? I'm sure you have better things to do. What can I help you with?"
- I would just add "Wait," to the sentence "I'm sure you..."

Fixed, fixed, and fixed. Its and it's... =P I always get them mixed up. I know the difference, honest! Big Grin I put the 'Though to be honest...' bit on its own separate line, as a stand alone sentence, and dropped its happy ratio. Not that one can really tell on an Argonian, but there's a multitude of happy and sad in his dialogs ^.^

Quote:STIJEbb11Alchemy
- I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any entries for STIJEbb11OkanQuestTopic to start Okan-Shei's quest. If there are, I can't find them. Confusedhrug:

STIJEbb11OkanQuestTopic can be found in the quest STIJEbb11OkanQuest01. Since the quest starts enabled, I had no need for a StartQuest. When I go to add that in (as per a recommendation down the list), the StartQuest will pop in just before the AddTopic, me thinks. I'll toy with it, and see how well that works.

edit: Oh, wow, I have QuestTopic and then I have Quest01Topic... Fixed.

Quote:STIJEbb11Ebbedin
- I hate having to ask this, but could you reduce the number of responses here? Mainly for memory reasons (those voice files would take a bit of space :O)? I'm thinking it should look more like STIJEbb11EbbedinLocations.

Heheh, yeah, there's a lot. I don't mind trimming it down, either. Didn't quite work out as I planned. It gets pretty redundant if you talk to Okan-Shei about it while starting at low disposition, and then work your way up. Consider his responses pruned. Let me know if they should be pruned further (once I upload a new ESP of course ^^)

Quote:STIJEbb11LittleAdvice
- I just have to say I like it, very interesting! :goodjob:
- Just for good modding etiquette, put a random end flag on the last random entry here

Out of curiosity, what does random end do? Also, done.

Quote:STIJEbb11Relneth

STIJEbb11RelnethsRepairs
- Add a random end flag to the last random response

done, done, and done. Again, let me know if I should prune further.

Quote:STIJEbb11OkanQuest01:

STIJEbb11OkanQuest01NoHave
- A 15 disposition hit might be a little bit harsh! Big Grin I think 5 for all should be fine, you should be able to achieve this with only one INFO

Done. I don't remember the difference between the two situations, I'll have to test it out again later. I think I kicked it up to 15 just because I felt like a real jerk picking on Okan-Shei, and needed to be punished accordingly Big Grin

In the topic STIJEbb11OkanQuest01No there are similar disposition drops possible. If you refuse the quest, change your mind, and then refuse again there's a 10 point hit. If you refuse, let a few days go by, and then change your mind, only to refuse again, you get a 20 point drop, simply for leading him along. Shall I set them both to 5? Drop the 20 to 10? Go 5 and 10 instead of 10 and 20? Or just leave them be, as you didn't mention them?

Quote:STIJEbb11OkanQuest01YesHave
"Ah! Yes, it is all here! You amaze me! I can not thank you enough!"
- use "cannot" or "can't" instead of "can not"

Done.

Quote:Flag the quest NPCs as essential.

Done. In the future, if I happen to do more quests, would an acceptable alternative be to have the NPC's death simply prematurely end the quest, with relevant journal entries and the like? Essential NPCs give me itches behind my eyes when they live such boring lives as Relneth and Okan do Wink

Quote:Quest targets need to be put in (map and compass markers that guide you to quest locations) for the stages involving going to a specific person.

Also watch for good places to start and stop your non-repeatable, non-dialogue quests. No need to have quests running when they don't need to. Smile

Not sure if I already mentioned this somewhere, but your quests don't have have quest icons. I can do that for you later if you haven't unpacked your BSAs.

I'll work on the Quest Targets. I vaguely remember how to do it for static locations, is it any different for tracking an NPC? Or is it just the NPC added as a target, rather than the X Marker?

Once I get the targets down, I'll look at starting and stopping the quests ^^

Finally, thanks again for the quest icons ^.^ I'm curious on the whole packing-unpacking of BSA's... I'll nose around some and see if I can learn about all that so this isn't a constant occurance Smile

Quote:- I think that after three shipments, most players would find collecting armour and bringing it back to Relneth tedious. Instead of having so many smaller rewards before getting to the really large ones, perhaps it would be a good idea to alternate between the smaller ones and the larger ones. That way, there's always something interesting ahead that the player can expect.

- Next, perhaps only one type of scrap would be better than having separate categories for the different types of armour. Just a 'general' kind of scrap just to avoid possible frustration with being unable to find a specific type of armour. Having said that, I'm having second thoughts about limiting this quest to the lower level armours. If you want to use the more durable ones (including Dwemer), go for it. Of course, if you like it how it is now, you should know there's nothing wrong with it. Wink

I thought about lessening the shipments in both quantity of scrap required, and number of runs to make, but decided that, for this one quest, it feels ok to have it be annoying like this. Makes Relneth and Okan-Shei more like charity cases, where the player really has to go out of their way to help people in need, rather than simply another way to get money and loot. Also, since different armor pieces (helms, greaves, gauntlets, etc.) provide different amounts of gold, the rewards for the little quests still stay varied Big Grin

As for lumping everything into one type of scrap, it wouldn't make much sense beyond making it easy on the player. When you need iron to make a tool of some sort, fur just isn't gonna cut it. Also, as far as allowing higher level armors, perhaps one day I'll do a smith in a more well-to-do part of ST, where the smith could actually know how to work with the materials. As far as making sure the player has access to the armors, regardless of their level, I intend to work on some dungeons after Relneth, and I'll be sure to dress any bandits I make just for such an occasion ^.^ After all, bandits forced to live in caves in the middle of nowhere shouldn't really have access to things as shiny as glass, ebony, and whatnot. The low-end stuff should still be seen. So yeah. Eventually, when I have a few dungeons under my belt, that won't be an issue. Wink

Quote:Have you playtested it yet?

Not since I made all these changes. Gonna hammer out the Quest targets, stops and starts, and make sure I didn't miss anything, then I'll give it a whirl. If everything works ok, I'll go back to your previous review and double-check to make sure I have all those things nailed down too. By then I should have had a chance to get the latest ESM and BSA, and can make sure everything is ok there. Finally, once that's all out of the way, I'll toss up another WIP to make sure everything's shiny, and then (hopefully, at long last) it'll be done. If it happens before April, I'll have avoided the 6 month mark for this mod Wink
I like this one! Once it gets approved and merged, let me know and I'll extract the lines and see if AndySlayer (Relneth) and Egger3rd (Okan-Shei) would be interested in voicing.

Steve
Quote:Some of them will retain the two INFO's as they differ in result scripts, but those that could were trimmed as per your example.

I believe it should be alright to add if statements to the result script so you can get the same done with one INFO. You can try it out.

Out of curiosity, what does random end do? Also, done.

There is a little bit of information about Random End here. It's a flag that essentially tells the game to stop looking for more random INFOs, and it's usually a good idea to check it when you want the dialogue to be chosen from only the set you typed for a certain situation.

Done. I don't remember the difference between the two situations, I'll have to test it out again later. I think I kicked it up to 15 just because I felt like a real jerk picking on Okan-Shei, and needed to be punished accordingly Big Grin

In the topic STIJEbb11OkanQuest01No there are similar disposition drops possible. If you refuse the quest, change your mind, and then refuse again there's a 10 point hit. If you refuse, let a few days go by, and then change your mind, only to refuse again, you get a 20 point drop, simply for leading him along. Shall I set them both to 5? Drop the 20 to 10? Go 5 and 10 instead of 10 and 20? Or just leave them be, as you didn't mention them?

It's not a big deal overall, so it's up to you how you want to approach it. I think I remember seeing what you had set up for the other topic and agreeing with it.

Done. In the future, if I happen to do more quests, would an acceptable alternative be to have the NPC's death simply prematurely end the quest, with relevant journal entries and the like? Essential NPCs give me itches behind my eyes when they live such boring lives as Relneth and Okan do Wink

Sure, it's acceptable by me. One such script block attached to each of the NPC would likely look something like this:
Code:
Begin OnDeath
if ( GetStage [QuestID] >= [First Stage] )
    SetStage [Stage for when the NPC dies]
endif
End
If you want, you can even put this in your quest. I just want the NPCs to be essential until the player gets the first journal entry. (That way if the NPC somehow gets killed - accidents that happen in Oblivion are usually courtesy of the default Radiant AI system Big Grin - the player won't be upset later upon learning of a quest NPC's death.

You can make the NPC non-essential after the player gets the quest by using the SetEssential function.

Just be careful about the dialogue if you go this route. I think a lot of what you wrote assumed both NPCs would be alive.

I'll work on the Quest Targets. I vaguely remember how to do it for static locations, is it any different for tracking an NPC? Or is it just the NPC added as a target, rather than the X Marker?

You simply tell the game to track the NPC reference. You add conditions so the targets show up when they're supposed to and go away when they're no longer needed.

I thought about lessening the shipments in both quantity of scrap required, and number of runs to make, but decided that, for this one quest, it feels ok to have it be annoying like this. Makes Relneth and Okan-Shei more like charity cases, where the player really has to go out of their way to help people in need, rather than simply another way to get money and loot. Also, since different armor pieces (helms, greaves, gauntlets, etc.) provide different amounts of gold, the rewards for the little quests still stay varied Big Grin

As for lumping everything into one type of scrap, it wouldn't make much sense beyond making it easy on the player. When you need iron to make a tool of some sort, fur just isn't gonna cut it. Also, as far as allowing higher level armors, perhaps one day I'll do a smith in a more well-to-do part of ST, where the smith could actually know how to work with the materials. As far as making sure the player has access to the armors, regardless of their level, I intend to work on some dungeons after Relneth, and I'll be sure to dress any bandits I make just for such an occasion ^.^ After all, bandits forced to live in caves in the middle of nowhere shouldn't really have access to things as shiny as glass, ebony, and whatnot. The low-end stuff should still be seen. So yeah. Eventually, when I have a few dungeons under my belt, that won't be an issue. Wink

As I said, this is entirely up to you.

We can use more dungeons, I have to say. :yes: It might be a bit of time before some of them for Ebbedin's region are posted though. I think I might be able to put one on the far side of Ebbedin island though, or if not there, perhaps near the lighthouse instead. There's also the Dungeon board and blackbird also set up a few claims for Latrys Island.

Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
I like this one! Once it gets approved and merged, let me know and I'll extract the lines and see if AndySlayer (Relneth) and Egger3rd (Okan-Shei) would be interested in voicing.

Steve

Thanks Steve. =)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12