Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Loading Screens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yeah, this is great, can you upload the frame, so we can get to work?

I use CS3, btw, maybe we shall decide what filter to use on the screenshots?
Quote:Originally posted by DoZeNt
Yeah, this is great, can you upload the frame, so we can get to work?

I use CS3, btw, maybe we shall decide what filter to use on the screenshots?

Yup I attached the frame and background. They are 1 single photoshop file with each piece on a different frame.

I actually use multiple filters, mostly I follow this:

Code:
Done using Photoshop CS3, but it will work with lower versions as well.

1. Import screenshot into Photoshop.

2. Position screenshot on a seperate layer, above the layer containing the Bethesda-provided loading screen background.

3. Hit Shift+Ctrl+U to desaturate image.

4. Filter >> Stylize >> Find Edges

5. Hit Shift+Ctrl+F to access the fade filter menu.

6. In the fade filter menu, change mode to Color Dodge.

7. Image >> Adjustments >> Gradient Map, and hit OK.

8. Change the screenshot layer's blending mode to Linear Burn.

9. Change the screenshot layer's opacity to 50%.

10. Now for the last trick: Filter >> Sharpen >> Sharpen (and repeat that a second time).

Voila! You've got the Bethesda loading screen background.

Now, to generate the colored part of the loading screen (the part that's in the frame), position a second copy of the original screenshot over the layer we've just been working on, and delete all parts of it that are outside the frame. Now set this layer's blending mode to Hard Light, and set the opacity to 69%, and you're done.

Try playing around with the numbers if you don't like what you're getting. The source screenshot will affect outcome, as will the resolution at which you capture the source screenshot. Bethesda seemed to use a higher resolution which resulted in higher detail.

I then run a couple of additional filterings and adjust the exposure levels and then tweak it from there. It provides a nice art style

If you need me to I can upload a loading screen I have done so you can see how it all works Smile
Oooh, I use Photoshop too. It would be nice to check over this when I have some time spare. And yes, I agree with Tlo1048 about the background....it looks much better! :goodjob:
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Oooh, I use Photoshop too. It would be nice to check over this when I have some time spare. And yes, I agree with Tlo1048 about the background....it looks much better! :goodjob:

Big Grin, just remember though that is geared toward a normal looking loading screen, so for BM it will be the end parts you will need for generating the colour picture. If you want to practice the lot I have a .psd template for the normal loading screens Smile

And thank you, I just tweaked Doz's work, I think thats all it needed really :yes:
Ok, Here's my first archive :

http://depositfiles.com/files/sebzdmpmx
Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
Big Grin, just remember though that is geared toward a normal looking loading screen, so for BM it will be the end parts you will need for generating the colour picture. If you want to practice the lot I have a .psd template for the normal loading screens Smile
Nice to see someone using the Fade function in Photoshop, it is often overlooked as it is fairly obscure, but in my opinion it is esential for really customising most actions in Photoshop (it doesn't just apply to filters, btw.).

To change the colour, one just need to apply a hue/stauration adjustment layer on top of the stack, that way nothing is lost if you want to get rid of it.
Quote:Originally posted by DoZeNt
Ok, Here's my first archive :

http://depositfiles.com/files/sebzdmpmx

Looking good, though you need to save the loadings screens as .DDS otherwise they cannot be used.

You need to save them as DDS DXT5 format with no MIP-maps.

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
Nice to see someone using the Fade function in Photoshop, it is often overlooked as it is fairly obscure, but in my opinion it is esential for really customising most actions in Photoshop (it doesn't just apply to filters, btw.).

To change the colour, one just need to apply a hue/stauration adjustment layer on top of the stack, that way nothing is lost if you want to get rid of it.

Thanks, I agree thats a good way to make colour adjustments, though I applied the colour change directly to the layer in question.
We'll need to have quotes to go with these. DoZeNt, can you post a thread in the claims section with the prefix CLAIMS: and attach the pictures? Then anyone browsing there can offer suggestions as to what the caption might be.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
We'll need to have quotes to go with these. DoZeNt, can you post a thread in the claims section with the prefix CLAIMS: and attach the pictures? Then anyone browsing there can offer suggestions as to what the caption might be.

To have quotes part of the picture needs removing at the bottom. Unless we use my approach and adjust the loading screen XML file [Which I have done already] to position the text under the frame.

I done this with my WIP loading screen replacer pack.
I have a lot more loading screens to create, I want to know what topics are needed? I have three rootworms, two ruins, two Phomolos, two barracks, three ushrooms, two Landscape screens, and one on Rockguard..

What is needed?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9