Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tobi's Imperial Fort Set Thread
12-10-2007, 07:24 AM,

Well, If you mean the issues with the arrows, then no. But otherwise the collisions are working perfectly. Only arrows penetrate. I don't know why. Maybe it will work better when textures are applied to the models. Light also penetrates the models, if I stand right next to the models and equip my torch, no light will shine upon the models. I suspect that's because light only affects the textures and not the model itself.
Either way it's nothing serious, people will just have to stop firing their arrows at my bloody walls, someone could get hurt Tongue
12-10-2007, 12:53 PM,

I've been offline for a few days doing RL stuff but I'm back now. Glad to hear the snap-to-grid worked out eventually, and the screenshots look great! :goodjob:

To take advantage of Oblivion's lighting system surfaces need to have a color- and normal texture, so that is sure to kick in as soon as you've mapped your models. It won't have any effect on collision though, which arrow penetration is a part of. Perhaps you could attach one of your nifs so we can check out the collision?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
12-10-2007, 01:59 PM,

Okai.
12-10-2007, 02:16 PM,

I think the problem is that you used strips collision, which is rather unreliable in-game and the worst kind of collision in terms of FPS. Spheres are best, followed by capsules then boxes then convex and lastly strips. In case you're unfamiliar with how it works I set up an example in the archive's max scene. I also go over it in this youtube video in case that can also be of any help.

I forgot to mention it earlier but it's not a good idea to use underlines in Oblivion filenames. The game uses the character to control special behaviour, so you might encounter unexpected results in certain situations and then it'd be a pain to change it, so personally I just use captialized letters to make filenames easier to read.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
12-10-2007, 02:20 PM,

Okay, I will try using some boxes instead, but it's rather difficult sometimes then, for example with the archway wall piece.

And thanks for the reminder of underlines, I'll try to remember it.

Edit:
oh, yes, I've made a door.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/T...Shot16.jpg
12-10-2007, 03:00 PM,

One often has to compromise with how accurate the collision is. (Bethesda certainly did on many occasions.) It's just not worth sacrificing FPS for accuracy that very few players would ever experience, like by shooting an arrow at an architectural detail high up in the air.

For instance on the arches in this screenshot I would probably have used a line of boxes arranged in pairs like a V-shape. If you run into problems just post up the nif and I'll give the best advice/help I can =)
Angel mired in filth
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM,

Alright, I just tested out some of the towers, but this time with box collision instead, but the bug is still there, arrows still penetrate.

It's funny, it seems to only affect large objects, like the walls or towers, but smaller objects like the door or doorway is unaffected and completely bug-free.

Feel free to play around with this one if you like...
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM,

One thing I noticed on this mesh using NifSkope is that the collision material is HAV_MAT_WOOD. The odd thing is that I used to have the opposite problem with my shacks; I had to do some bhkListShape magic in order to get arrow penetration. And people here can tell you I went slighly insane on the topic. Smile

I'm with Razorwing on this as well; I think you'll be better served with a list of shapes (mostly boxes) to approximate the shape of the object, with maybe a tiny TriStrips shape for the top of the arch. I'm a stickler for shape-matching as well, but FPS drag in exterior cells can be a real problem. I've used as many as 50 in a list for a big interior, but my guess is that 15 would do for that piece, with most of those to preserve the arch and the crenellation of the top of the walls. I may try to play with that if I can use Max directly from my backup. Smile I myself also worry less about precision with "bounce" materials; at least there won't be an arrow hanging in the air. Big Grin

Which version of the NifTools plugin are you using on Max9? Just curions.

HtH,
Steve
12-10-2007, 08:48 PM,

I'm using the newest one, version 0.2.16.1
It's not the Civilization IV plug-in though...

Thing is, I don't think that simply using boxes is going to work, I tried it out on a platform, the one on the left in screenshot 15. One simple box, still the exact same problem...

I am very tempted so simply "forget" about the whole arrow bug. I think it's unlikely that people will run around firing at the walls, and if the arrows penetrate, most will properly find it funny and then ignore it, I'd imagine only a few of those who play will actually find it annoying.
From my perspective, it's a matter of priorities, and of course it's more important that the models look good, and making sure you or anyone else won't suddenly fall right through the walls, and that seems to work just perfectly.

So, if you don't mind, I'd rather focus on finishing this set instead of fixing a minor bug.

I will try it out on the next model though, if that work's, I'll redo every collision mesh I've done so far, if not, I'll just continue with the models, with your permission.

But that up for the "bosses" to decide Smile

Edit:

Whee! It seems to work now! Somewhat, I tried to apply texture to the platform (didn't come out as I wanted anyway, could someone kindly link me a tutorial, showing how to texture properly? thanks)
and now arrows actually react to the model, in the wrong way though, since they're stuck in the model. I think I applied a wood material to the model, oops Tongue

Anyway, it's great.
12-11-2007, 01:48 AM,

I would find that rather amuzing, that is of course if the arrows going through the walls are not hitting and potentially killing something on the other side of the wall Big Grin

How does this work, (for my simple mind perspective) wood = arrow stick, brick = arrow bounce off ?

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories