Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: CLAIM: Black Marsh Scripts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
What do you think about that, IS? I suppose it stops cheating if a PC has loads of Septims.

I think its impossible to truly add a new currency to the game, its always gonna be septims. But its possible to have coins lying about blackmarsh that when the player picks it up it gets added to your septims, so it fakes the ability for a new currency.

Faking is the best we can do, but its better than nothing right Smile
Yeah, that could be nice although it wouldn't really have as much impact as a totally new currency, of course. Razorwing added some new coinage to Silgrad Tower. I guess it would be nice to use some of our own symbols on the coins: Argonian Cultural Artworks & Icons . They'd work well for Soulrest cove, I think.
IS,

Ok, so suppose we can't add a new currency for Blackmarsh to override the septims.

But is this possible instead...?:

1) When the player transfers from Tamriel to Blackmarsh, a quest script logs the # of septims the player has and remembers it, then removes that amount - the player then enters Blackmarsh with no gold whatsoever (the way we'd like it). You can B.S. a scenario of why this happens.

2) When the player tranfers from Blackmarsh to Tamriel, the script logs the gold the player earned in Blackmarsh, and removes that amount.

3) When back in Tamriel, the player along the way finds his bag of gold, proper number of septims inside from before he entered Blackmarsh.

4) When the player reenters Blackmarsh, same things happens (Tamriel gold amount is removed), and the proper amount of Blackmarsh money you earned before is added back to your inventory after you find your bag of gold again.

This way, recoloring the septims will indeed be a good idea for Blackmarsh, because we can fake a separate currency this way.

On to the B.S. stories for why the gold is removed at both transfers:

1) From Tamriel to Blackmarsh transfer: soldiors and highranking officials say that no Tamriel gold can enter Blackmarsh without prior approval. You are either not approved because you were a prisoner at some point and so might be smuggling gold for Blackmarsh use instead of earning it (in the soldiors' and officials' eyes); or, the person who does the approval in the first place is out of commision (sick, missing, etc). So you have to deposit your gold at this waystation (it's governed by legal officials so your gold is safe.) for safekeeping, before entering Blackmarsh. But they don't dare take your money for themselves, because hey, they know they might be mistaken anyways.

2) From Blackmarsh to Tamriel: the player again is stopped by Blackmarsh soldiors & officials (Imperials) who tell them they can't take any Blackmarsh currency back to Tamriel. They say they suspect any currency to be possibly contaminated with Blackmarsh diseases, and that some people have been known to fall sick after handling Blackmarsh currency, and other Blackmarsh items for that matter. They say they don't doubt this story, since after all, Blackmarsh currency has been handled by many different people here in the Blackmarsh province, and well "You just don't know where the currency has been..." So because of the disease fear, they'll keep your Blackmarsh currency safe for you until you return, and so also won't spend it on themselves (the guards wear gloves for handling the currency??). You are free to take other items gathered in Blackmarsh back to Tamriel, though, if you get the guards to believe the items are either for research by Imperial scholars or mages, or if you get the guards to believe they are gifts requested by some higher ranking official.

So what do you all think? I *think* it's possible, scriptwise, but I haven't scripted something like this.

Koniption
Well, I think we wouldn't need the BS stories because people would realise it's the only way to have separate currency. If it's possible, script-wise, it would work flawlessly. As long as the player doesn't have to pick up the gold. If the scripts simply remove and add the gold without any needed player action, it's fine.

This script would require rigorous testing to make sure there's no way to break it. If we do end up adding it we'll also have to mention in huge letters that the money script is tested and that it will not break your character, no matter what.
Would be cool if BM had it's own money...
I think the scripts are a really nice, clever idea. I would question the stories a little, especially on the re-entry into Tamriel. The main thing for me is that such reasons as the diseases affecting coinage is a little implausible and, as you said, why would it not affect the items themselves? But anyway, I'm sure those were just suggestions on how it might work. However, I think it could easily be twisted if we were to impose an Imperial 'embargo' on BM.

A trade embargo is a cessation of all trade with a particular country and is used to put pressure on countries in order to isolate them and to pressurise the government. Why would they do that? Well, there are potentially lots of reasons but I think the big one would be to force the King to hand over members of the Blackwood Co. for crimes against the noble families.

So you'd have to find the remaining bandits and either dispose of them or hand them over. In which case, how about having at least one quest for every Faction that we use that 'deals' with a Blackwood Company member?
  • The Sotho Tren would probably be causing the most trouble since the embargo would make Imperial troops ever more vigilant in combatting the influence of any black market and illegal activities. So I guess they could be the first to react angrily towards the Royal Court. Any mission to pressurise the Court on behalf of the criminal syndicate would work here.
  • The Mages Guild might assist in locating some of the members especially if some of them have used magical means of concealment or disguise.
  • The Trillium Magnata might have already taken some of them in as full members but if the Royal Court puts a bounty on their head then they might be persuaded to leave...and this would do something for the PC's reputation amongst the tribes. The PC would have to investigate by joining them and weeding out the suspects.
  • The Fighter's Guid might, according to LN's ideas, actually get recruited (their deaths could be faked in order to keep them). Alternatively, there could be a face-off.
  • The Shadowscales would probably wipe them out all that's left in a bloodbath with an impressive name e.g. the night of knives.
Once the members have been dealt with in at least one quest for every Faction's storyline then the trade embargo could be lifted. In which case, you would be so far into the game that a sudden boost in money would not affect matters quite so much. If it turns out that it's just too big a boost then I guess we could tie in the death of the last remaining member to the MQ.
Logging the players gold removing it and re-adding later or placing in a sack is quite an easy thing to-do :yes:, it would be as simple as using 2 global variables to store the seperate amounts and then calling them when needed.

I suppose that combined with the gold script I wrote would work really well, and should have some feeling of a seperate currency.

I wonder if there is a game setting we could change to change then name of the septims to something esle to further enchance the feeling.
...probably... =)
I like your storyline much better, IG. And it ties together events in the vanilla game too, so good, good.

IS, I don't know if the name of the septims can be changed. Best to look in the CS for the word "gold" or "septim" and see how they're done and set up.

Koniption
It's Gold001 n the MiscItem category
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12