Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: SHRAC08 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" [Finished]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Back up and running again...!

Progress Report

Landscaping & Height Editing - Done.
Terrain Texturing - Mostly done except for some blocky texturing and a contamination error.
Main features (with map markers) - Astermeier Cave, Mithril Quarry Cave, Carthinasia Ruins & Fort Abromel. Is another needed?
Flora - Only NS Grid reference 2 to do with extensive fern scattering along with Hackle-lo, Bungler's Bane/Hypher Facia, Slough Fern, Violet Coprinus and so on. Have also corrected flying objects to this grid ref. Need assistance with contamination error and playtesting for blocky textures.
Enemies & Pathgridding - On its way.
Vertex Shading - Nothing done.
That hurts. Sad Though it's a good thing not too much was lost. It looks nice.
I am glad you had a recent backup. Smile

I have seen this once before.
In that particular case the modder saved the file and at the same moment there was a problem with the power supply which corrupted the file (many zeros).
I thought I might actually be almost finished for a while but then I started doing the pathgridding. I've put some enemies on the landscape and cleaned up all of the rocks and trees but this pathgridding thing behaves bizarrely. In the screenshot below, I achieved the existing pathgrids by clicking on a rock or a tree in the cell and then going to World-Path Grid Generation-Generate Selected Cells because there didn't seem to be any other way of selecting any cells.

I then zoomed right out to what you see here and selected everything that I saw (all the cells that you see) by dragging my cursor over the area and hence selecting everything. But when I did the whole generation procedure I was left with this...nothing, in other words. Then I tried clicking on a landscape feature using the same method as before and it failed to produce any results again. What's worse is that the pathgrids that were generated seemed a little odd. They seem to miss out perfectly good parts of the cell where movement through the landscape should present no problem.

?( I'm utterly stumped...any ideas? Here is the latest update: http://files.filefront.com/SHRAC08+Seven...einfo.html . The only stuff missing is pathgrids and vertex shading. For the shading I will need to know:

1) is there shading already here from the automatically generated landscape and will I need to find it and delete it (because I can't see where it is, if it does exist)?

2) how much is necessary? Should I concentrate on entrances and large rocks only i.e. size 28/29 rocks?
The cells have to be selected in the cell view window (holding shift or CTRL).
Check this post as well.

The vertex shading (grey) was added during the region generation (around rocks and trees).

I attached a screenshot.
The grey has been removed were you see the cursor (using white).

Vertex shading should be added around the larger rock types, trees and near entrances.
Sorry about that, Sandor. I obviously didn't read the post properly. Pathgridding is now done. Only the vertex shading remains.

There is one possible problem. The pathgridding has only been generated for the areas above water. I had hoped that the PGs would cross over into the shallow areas as well. It'd be nice to have a few battles sloshing about in the drink. I guess I could add additional PGs as well. What do you think?
Okay, I think I may now be done with this so I'll send along what I've got as an initial 'release candidate'. There are, however, some issues that I need clearing up:

1) I still can't figure out what I need to insert in the Fort to get rid of the gap in the architecture (see first two screenshots). Please note that I have a floating barrel above the steps which I use to navigate from as a viewpoint. Could someone please tell me how the hell I get rid of this damn gap? And if you could check the beams on the stair roof to see if they're correctly positioned then that would be useful as well as it's the last thing I added just now.

2) I added an extra beam of light to Astermeier Cave entrance but there is still a fairly obvious seam. Should I just expand the original beam yet further, do you think? (see screenshot 3; it doesn't really show this very well, though)

3) I think I've got all the blocky textures but I wasn't sure if I needed to do more vertex shading. I did some rocks, cave entrances and wooded areas but I may well have missed stuff.

I think it's time to hand this over to you for the 'contamination error checking' now. I just want to move on to something else. Here's the latest .esp: http://files.filefront.com/SHRAC08+Candi...einfo.html

The rest of the screenshots are some nice ones of the area using my new graphics card. I love the occasional fog effect that appears further inland as it really works well in some areas.

Btw, I still have that old 'distant land' error which obscures parts of the land with a brownish film. Will this be sorted once it's been prepared for inclusion in the ST final?
I'll check and clean the file.

After that I'll answer your questions asap.

Nice screenshots! :goodjob:
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Okay, I think I may now be done with this so I'll send along what I've got as an initial 'release candidate'. There are, however, some issues that I need clearing up:

1) I still can't figure out what I need to insert in the Fort to get rid of the gap in the architecture (see first two screenshots). Please note that I have a floating barrel above the steps which I use to navigate from as a viewpoint. Could someone please tell me how the hell I get rid of this damn gap? And if you could check the beams on the stair roof to see if they're correctly positioned then that would be useful as well as it's the last thing I added just now.

2) I added an extra beam of light to Astermeier Cave entrance but there is still a fairly obvious seam. Should I just expand the original beam yet further, do you think? (see screenshot 3; it doesn't really show this very well, though)

3) I think I've got all the blocky textures but I wasn't sure if I needed to do more vertex shading. I did some rocks, cave entrances and wooded areas but I may well have missed stuff.

I think it's time to hand this over to you for the 'contamination error checking' now. I just want to move on to something else. Here's the latest .esp: http://files.filefront.com/SHRAC08+Candi...einfo.html

The rest of the screenshots are some nice ones of the area using my new graphics card. I love the occasional fog effect that appears further inland as it really works well in some areas.

Btw, I still have that old 'distant land' error which obscures parts of the land with a brownish film. Will this be sorted once it's been prepared for inclusion in the ST final?
The file has been merged.
I'll send you a PM with a few remarks concerning your area.

The brownish film is related to the fact that you lowered the land considerably without updating the LOD meshes.
This will be fixed (next bsa version).

In general very nice modding, I like this 'new area' a lot! :goodjob:
Excellent news! Thanks a lot, Sandor. This was my first ever finished piece of modding.

Let me know if there's anything I need to do about the LOD mesh issue in order to avoid this in future. Thanks for your comments. I guess I can now release those caves and stuff as claims now, if I wish...? Awaiting your PM.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12