Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Murkwood Concept art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Okay, this re-affirms it. I definitely want to do Murkwood.
hmm, this is your first time useing 3d in a long time? It looks like it. For now you many wanna chamfer the edges to get a smother look rather than very sharp edges. Use chamfer frequently because this will give you a smooth effect without the use of NURBS (non-uniform rational b-splines)
I made a hist tree for the center.

It's low poly and can split into separate parts.
Buster, this is using Nurbs and the sharp edges are intentional. In fact look at real buttress roots and you will see i need to make them even thinner, curve out even further and at the base.

Here are a few good Buttress root photos and the central tree on its own...

[Image: 78ba8973.jpg]
[Image: cf1b72c6.jpg]
[Image: 21096a2c.jpg]

[Image: d966f75b.jpg]

Morsyth, The first thing I think when i see that is a very impressive tree-beast. Where the opening is at the bottom, split it into two trunks (legs) and put a tree carving looking head hanging very low at the front and leave those arms where they are, Thats would look great! About 18feet high!
Quote:Originally posted by Morsyth
I made a hist tree for the center.

It's low poly and can split into separate parts.

Its very nice and usefull tree,but this isn't Hist.But its usefull for darker lands in BM like Gideon,Murkwood etc..So send to me,its usefull :goodjob:
Yeah I was sort of in a rush putting that render out. Not quite finished.

Half of it's legs are underwater and the legs split into about four roots at the knee. I've gotta make a face, do some smaller leafy branches and the rest of the textures properly.

What do you mean it isn't hist? From what I've read a Hist tree is a sentient tree being. I modelled it off the drawing on the Arena map, that thing looks like it's got a face and arms to me. If it's just because of the texture on it that's easy to change and there's nothing in lore saying a hist can't be a mangrove, willow, cedar or all of the above.

I was planning on having it a lot bigger than 18feet. more like 180feet.
The textures are split into three-four sections for the trunk base and the arms are separate. So for one massive tree we can split it up into five-six sections and have a low and high poly model for each one.
Guys, only thing I can say watching those models is AWESOME. It really looks like a huge tree city :goodjob:
EVERYONE: glad you all like the Argonian tree-city, This is my fist model so any tips or hints are good. The shape will be how i want it, its meant to be this thin althogh i am redoing it all now for practice.

Areas i need help on...
  • This is in NURBS, do I need to convert to poly or anything? if so what kind of poly count etc?
  • i dont know how to make a texture repeat over the surface?

if it is very easy for someone, (busterwolf maybe? Smile) is it better i just model and send to you and you optimise the poly count, do collision, texture, etc? if its easy though i will just learn it. let me know.
wow i didn't know trees had such skinny roots. sorry I withdraw my comment critisizing this work. i didn't know ?( ?(

yes of course infact i can answere what you want perfectly.
ok this is oblivion, we dont want nurbs. The sub-division of the odject's parameters is multiplied greatly to make ultra smooth and crispy results that we dont want. This adds like tens of thousands amount of ploys to the mesh to unify it. It proximatly goes over 14k+ polys on just one mesh. Assuming the size of this current object it probably has (a knowledgeable guess) 5-7k + polys perhaps? How many does it have just to know.

Try not to go over 10K polys. This is good for the game.
To make flawless texture you must map the object. This simply "un-wrappes" the object into a flat image (like a net diagram of the object) so we can texture it with ease. I would tell you a detailed example but you are using Rhino...right? If so i dont know anything about it. You may have to go to the net and research it yourself. It is basically the same in all 3D manipulating programs.

Uhh yeah you can give it to me and i can try things out i can also provide with the UV maps for textureing.
Buster, no prob on the roots. This is why i needed to model myself as its much easier to create from my mind than to explain sometimes.

I am remodelling it all now, longer more hockey-stick curved roots.. Will post in 5 mins. I will see if i can find the poly-count too....

I converted this one to polygons, it had a slider (fewer polygons and more polygons) I put it as low as possible that it still kept the shape, it was very low.
[Image: 45884876.jpg]

UPDATE: Open polygon mesh: 3250 vertices, 4308 polygons its that good or bad?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20