Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Black Marsh Resources: Latest bsa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Regarding -=this post=-.

Quote:Originally written by Ibsen's Ghost
The first thing I need to do is to get the filepaths sorted for many of the models I've included in the bsa that have texture errors. I know that there are loads of Rock Grove models with purple textures, for example. I put this down to the error mentioned in the bsa tutorial where it says: "the texture property's path shouldn't have any "/", but instead "\"
The file path is wrong but it uses "\" so that's fine.

If we look at the cheydinhalhousemiddle03.nif it (1BMTLRGHouseMiddle03) uses the following path: "c:\program files\bethesda softworks\oblivion\data\textures\blackmarsh\architecture\rock grove\bmstonewall03.dds" (screenshot before).

The correct path: "textures\blackmarsh\architecture\rock grove\bmstonewall03.dds" (screenshot after).

Why?
The path is always relative to the data folder because many people install Oblivion on their D drive etc.

Quote:Originally written by Ibsen's Ghost
...I kept getting lots of CANNOT READ FILE errors. I'm guessing that this is for all the meshes that are present within the bsa but haven't been unpacked.
An object was defined in the esm --> Meaning that the mesh is missing, in the wrong folder or it wasn't deleted from the esm.

I'll run the BM esm through TES4Files once a year, like I do for the ST esm and discuss the outcome. Meaning you have to decide what's missing (meshes) or which entries should be deleted. It's part of the annual cleaning process.

Regarding the patching.

Compile a new bsa and create a patch using the base bsa in a similar way as I said in this post.
However your comp has to be quite powerful to handle these kind of patches.
I'm assuming the filepath issue (with the drive letter) is only a problem with the bsa format as before I packed it into a bsa, those models were fine. Nevertheless, we're conducting an audit (KP and me) and I'm hoping to sort out any filepath errors.

Regarding the 'cannot read file', that must surely be impossible. There's tons of those errors. Either it's reading duplicated files or something or it's wrong. There may be some missing meshes but not that many. As I said, I'm guessing it's because TES4Files isn't reading the unpacked bsa files.

Regarding the patching, I'm not quite clear on what you mean there but I'm going to just create a totally new bsa so that any patching I do afterwards only involves adding models and textures and nothing else (like replacements etc.). I used your advice before, which worked fine, but there were just those weird purple texture errors for a small selection of models that hadn't been a problem before.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I'm assuming the filepath issue (with the drive letter) is only a problem with the bsa format as before I packed it into a bsa, those models were fine.
Not on my end (unpacked assets), I use a different file path as many users do (for reasons of performance, Vista and so on).

In short start with "Textures\blackmarsh\....." and it will work for everyone.
Do not define a specific path using drive letters and the OB install folder.

Regarding the 'cannot read file', that must surely be impossible. There's tons of those errors. Either it's reading duplicated files or something or it's wrong. There may be some missing meshes but not that many. As I said, I'm guessing it's because TES4Files isn't reading the unpacked bsa files.
You can't run a bsa through TES4Files, you have to use the unpacked assets.

I ran the current version of the assets through TES4Files (attached), tons of errors?
It's almost nothing.

I used your advice before, which worked fine, but there were just those weird purple texture errors for a small selection of models that hadn't been a problem before.
Patching or using a (registered) bsa has nothing to do with the purple textures (see above).
There are two possibilities: The texture is missing or the file path is wrong.
To hell with it! I'm not changing the drive letters. That would take hours and hours of endlessly tedious work. I'll just have to recommend that people change their drive letters because that would taking f**king DAYS!!! X(

I should be okay with unpacking the bsa though and then running it through TES4Files. The results you posted there should prove really useful although what the hell some of those files are I have no idea. Yet again, I'm guessing these are models that the old team obviously introduced and yet didn't keep the bloody models to send to me....annoying! Do you think it's going to be possible to identify the references that refer to these models in the CS? I can certainly delete the references within the Black Marsh esm if I find them but the name of the model may have been altered when they were set up in the CS. I just wondered if TES4Files was able to track that in order to make it easier for me to find them. As soon as I started to check this, it was immediately obvious that GBBracers, one of the first files on the list, was nowhere to be found....until I discovered it as aaaTLMyFilesGBBracers in the armor section.

I'll keep you all posted on developments. There are some extremely annoying things I've been encountering though...like all of the land textures suddenly disappearing from the Hist Dimension along with a number of models....a lot of which are clearly vanilla SI models but they seem to have vanished...?!?!? ?(
To hell with it! I'm not changing the drive letters. That would take hours and hours of endlessly tedious work. I'll just have to recommend that people change their drive letters because that would taking f**king DAYS!!! X(p
If you don't fix the file paths many people will have these texture problems.
You can't expect players to re-install Oblivion and use the following path: "c:\program files\bethesda softworks\oblivion\". For example I use Vista but installed OB outside the program files folder because of the security system. I am certainly not going to re-install OB because a modding team failed to update their meshes.

The good news, most of the meshes are fine.
I checked the modded exteriors and only found a problem in Rock Grove.

So the number of meshes that have to be fixed are prob. from the same modder and limited.

I just wondered if TES4Files was able to track that in order to make it easier for me to find them. As soon as I started to check this, it was immediately obvious that GBBracers, one of the first files on the list, was nowhere to be found....until I discovered it as aaaTLMyFilesGBBracers in the armor section.
No, that's why it's recommended to add the name of the the nif (or part of it) to the Editor ID. This allows you to use the search function within the CS.

I'll send you a PM.
X( Gah! More f**king boring work for me then....is there not a way to alter the filepaths automatically without having to hand-alter each and every texture being used just to remove the bloody stupid drive letter? Anyway, how does it know where to find the textures without a drive letter?

I'm aware of the meshes being fine because KP checked them....but some of the meshes that the old team added will be almost impossible to find. File management was pretty screwed up when I got here....this won't screw things completely but it means the archive update is going nowhere fast.

Thanks for the info, sandor. I'm busy with work in RL right now so I may not be able to respond to the PM for a short while if it contains technical stuff.
Ibsen &/or Sandor,

Do you think this utility might help??:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2156

I just now found it on TESNEXUS. I've never used it, though.

Koniption
Thanks for the info, sandor. I'm busy with work in RL right now so I may not be able to respond to the PM for a short while if it contains technical stuff.
It's nothing technical just an offer to help with TES4Files.

Quote:Originally posted by Koniption
Ibsen &/or Sandor,

Do you think this utility might help??:
From what I saw on the screenshots it identifies the Form ID as well which makes it very easy to find the Editor ID.

I'll check it.

Thanks for finding this tool. :goodjob:
Quote:Originally posted by sandor
From what I saw on the screenshots it identifies the Form ID as well which makes it very easy to find the Editor ID.

I'll check it.

Thanks for finding this tool. :goodjob:

You're welcome!

I also found this little tool:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index....ic=1041666

You use it while in the game, however, unlike the previous one I listed which works outside of the game. This tool requires OBSE v.18 Beta 3 or higher to use it in the game, but I still think it would help Ibsen without causing any side effects on his Blackmarsh esm/esps. Ibsen can still install OBSEv18 to use this tool, and save his Blackmarsh esm/esps under the normal CS.

I've used OBSE before, and the only way that the Blackmarsh esm/esps could be made dependant on OBSE, is if he manually made a copy of the CS launcher link, and right-clicked on it and went to "Properties", then added some text in the "Target" field to make the CS launch with OBSE compatibility. Then, he would have had to save the Blackmarsh esm/esps with the OBSE compatiable CS launcher, to actually make it dependant on OBSE. So as long as Ibsen does not do all this, he can use OBSE for OBSE mods and utilties, but still be safe with only having the regular CS to use for the Blackmarsh project.

Koniption
Thanks folks! The texture replacer looks cool especially as it seems to be saying that it mass replaces the filepaths.....I'll have to look into that.

And the formIDFinder, despite sounding a little complicated, should come in useful. Whilst doing these audits, my mind is brought back to errors that I know the current team haven't caused...such as the CTDs in Stonewastes when Doz reported the sudden, bizarre appearance of a piece of architecture from Cheydinhal (or Gideon). I guess that an audit on the Form IDs might well help to identify these strange ghosts in the machine....

....still doing overtime in RL and have very little time to take a look at these things and, despite having to plan for after half-term during the break (and hopefully fitting a small break in), I should be able to make some progress on this next week.

Edit - I think the filepath issue shouldn't be a problem actually. Most of the filepaths in the meshes point directly to the textures folder anyhow. I didn't realise that's what sandor was getting at when he mentioned that most of the meshes were fine. Phew!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19