Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Kielanai's work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Quote:Mirrored, you requested a tutorial. How much do you already know about texturing and GIMP? Should I make this a "how to retexture with GIMP" thing, or a "how to retexture with patterns" thing?
Well I know how to detach objects in 3dsmax, unwrap uv and apply seamless textures to it. I can't make textures though. I've tried Gimp once, there are tutorials for starters, so I guess you can go for "how to retexture with patterns". Wink
I don't know anything about UV maps, and actually I'm still relatively new to GIMP; so I think that's why this has been a challenge for me. I'll start taking notes on the next pattern I do, then. Big Grin
I think we will need a number of samurai uniforms (the kataginu kamishimo) for our samurai factions, each should have it's own colors (the colors of their clan).
I have not decided on their colors yet, so i will let you decide the colors (with one exception, Knifeblossom's clan color is red).
I'm not sure how many samurai factions we will have, but there should be 7 for the Tsaesci, and two or three for the humans (sounds like a lot of work, sorry about that).

For all other clothes, you can make as many variations and combinations you want.
And about the color combinations, well... i trust you will make the right decision, i don't know anything about color combinations, i always wear black myself Big Grin
I do prefer the patterns to look as japanese as possible... an antique look would be best.
But feel free to do what you think is right.
:goodjob:
That shouldn't be a problem. Course I shouldn't say that until I actually start on it. :p Most of what I have would be appropriate, I think and can easily be recolored between various factions, if necessary. The traditional fabrics tend to be either solid, small print, small stripe, or embroidered silks. Embroidery is the most difficult because it is a flat scene rather than something that wraps well. (I just tell myself that the non-wrapped lines are seams, but I'm still experimenting with a way to perfect that.) ^_^ Also older colors tend to be indigo, red, and white combinations. I have a lot of indigo and white small patterns that would be appropriate. Maybe something in a faded red with small white sakura tile for Knifeblossom? I'll make a sample and see what you think.

Progress today is that I finally corrected and released Akaviri Kojima V. 5.0. It was 49 MB without the clothing additions, so rather than complicate the upload, I left the clothing out. I will instead try to make a separate mod for those four sets. I would love to make a mod for the mod, but when I try to do that the trunk doesn't show in the house. Does anyone know how I could make a mod with just a trunk and the clothes to add to the mod without having to attach the entire island? My second option is to just add the clothes to the vendor in Anvil where the home is located, but I'd rather put them in the home. ?(

Edit: Here's the link for the separate clothing mod, if anyone wants it.

http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=8794
I downloaded the mod =)

About your problem, esp files can't touch eachother, an esp file can only touch an esm file.
You will just have to put the clothing in the Kojima esp file somehow, you can merge the two esp files or you can just put the new clothing models and textures in the Kojima esp file by getting into the clothing list and import the new meshes... whatever.

EDIT: i forgot to say... the faded red with small white sakura tile for Knifeblossom sounds good to me, i would really like to see that :yes:
Okay, I have worked today on pulling together a tutorial while creating a possibility for Knifeblossom clan.

First, before I forget again, here is the link to download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/12389825/Ret...l.rar.html

The download has the tutorial and some of the screens taken (and edited) for the tutorial. I give warning that I've never written a tutorial, so feel free to critique how I can improve it. I will look up references for the tools needed and add them later, but right now I'm more interested in whether my instructions actually work. And someone might be able to suggest a quicker way to do some of it.

I did this mainly because of Mirrored's request and wanting to try out the Knifeblossom idea. But I remember being very frustrated at the lack of GIMP tutorials out there, so this could possibly add one to fill the need. Also, I think it would be good to share how to do this, in case someone else in the group can use it. The more hands helping, the sooner the work gets done.

So, if the Knifeblossom kamishimo isn't what you had in mind, I can always just add it to the pile of assorted clothing and try again. There is no loss. I'm always in the mood for new kimono! Big Grin

Edit: Oh, and thanks for explaining esp problem. That makes sense. Well, now I know. Any future plans will keep that in mind. Smile
Thanks very much Kielanai. :goodjob: I'll check the tutorial. Wink
It's a rough draft, so I've already made a few grammar corrections since posting the link. And HTML will be final format. But let me know anything that needs fixing or was unclear. The hardest thing about writing the tutorial was resisting the urge to go off on tangeants and explain everything about everything. But tutorials have to limit themselves to one focus. For this, focus is how to use patterns and how to use GIMP to do it, and actually take it the distance to put it in the game for someone who has never done a clothing mod. And yet I have no way of knowing how much the reader knows about any of this stuff, so I might have left something necessary out. ?(
Thanks Keilanai. I'm not good at writing that kind of tutorial. Kudos to you.
Well, I don't know how successful the tutorial is yet. Big Grin Hopefully it can help, though.

Here is a screenshot of the Knifeblossom kamishimo from the tutorial. If it's not right for that purpose, then I can use it as a regular clothing addition. I went ahead and made a kimono to pair with it, although I'm not sure what female uniforms (if any) are needed with the clan colors. On the mannequin is another new kimono I made today. I was thinking it was a good style for middle class -- a little less elaborate in design and color. And then low class could be very dull and very plain. I'll work on something low class next if these are okay.

[Image: KielanaiSeamstress2.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47