Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Xae's OST Contributions (BM Soundtrack)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
I think the flattened third works very effectively, and I agree that retaining the major third the second time round would add an interesting contrast. That's what I'd go for. It's something I'll have to play around with for a song I'm writing

I don't think it would be accurate to say that I compose music - it's an aspiration of mine to learn how to do so. My knowledge is a mix between classical and pop theory, which means there's a fair bit I don't know (I know a lot more popular music theory than classical, so I had to refresh my memory as to what an IAC was). I write some of the music that my band plays.

I like to dabble with various ideas and I'm always looking to learn more, though I've found that teaching oneself composition means piecing the concepts together from many different sources. Any suggestions as to good learning materials would be heartily appreciated. Smile
Hi, nick_op. Nice to see you around... =)
Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
Any suggestions as to good learning materials would be heartily appreciated. Smile

Well, I suppose that depends on what you want to learn. Classical music theory I find is a very good base but in today's industry it's almost much more important to know the conventions. Music develops and changes heavily from year to year and you can often learn a lot of music theory by simply studying the changes.

That being said, it can be very rewarding to look at Mozart's Requiem and read some of the venerable texts on music theory. Arnold Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony and Kennan Kent's book on Counterpoint are two good examples off the top of my head. I like Schoenberg's works because he elaborates so much not only on theoretical elements but also on the nature and philosophy of music. I think it's important to learn from someone who has the same kind of relationship to music as you do yourself. When I read the opening by Schoenberg where we made it clear that music is not a science and that the classical study of it is no more or less valid than any other road I knew that I could learn something from him.
@IG Thanks, I'll be popping into this thread more often, I think. The music aspect of mods holds my interest much more these days.

@Xaeaix Cheers, I'll check out those books. Schoenberg's approach seems in key with the way I see things, so that's the first I'll look at. I recently read through Walter Piston's "Harmony", now time to go back and actually work through and expand on the exercises.

Counterpoint is an area I've neglected, but I imagine it could be utilised to make some more interesting instrumental parts for the rock music that I write as well as classical based stuff. I've only really touched on it as I've taught myself to play from figured bass, which relaxes a lot of the rules of counterpoint.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm looking forward to the next track you produce!
Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
@IG Thanks, I'll be popping into this thread more often, I think. The music aspect of mods holds my interest much more these days.

That's good, as we're currently exploring our options in terms of how we go about adding the sound in the way that we want to via scripts. We'll probably be producing an independent sound bsa file that can be used alongside everything else.
This is in part a reply to the PMs received from Koniption. Before I move on, The Saturnine Commons is now available for listening, though I may change the ending later on. In any case, that's it for the three cities. Alternatively, I could compose one night time piece for each city. Something long and largely ambient.

I've added a few lists and changed around some things in the OP. The lists are taken mostly from Kp's documents as well as a few threads around the forum. From what I can tell they represent the current best approximation of cells/regions that could benefit from their own music. Those who know more are invited to suggest fixes, of course.

Kp raised the point that different kinds of dungeons could have their own music. Since dungeon music, by virtue of being very ambient, is quite easy to compose, I'm open to this idea. If this sounds like a good idea to the team all I need to go forward with it is a few suggestions of places to visit so that I can get the feel of them.

The same goes for Scorpion Pass and the two dimensions. I don't want any relatively unique cell to be stuck with the generic region music.

Lastly, do we have a need for boss battle music?
Yes, some promising developments from KP's experimentation with the music. It even made the mighty sandor sit up and take notice.

The Saturnine Commons is a triumph! I love this one... :goodjob:

Best dungeon locations:
  • ROOTWORM TILESET - Mortified Rootworm (near Sloughpoint) -19,8
  • MOSSY RUIN TILESET - Mokumalata Barsaebic Ruin -10,17
  • FORT RUIN TILESET (same as vanilla set) - Fort Scorpion -24,-10
  • MOSSY CAVE TILESET - Frograt Barrow & Hixinoag Mine -8,19 & -8,11 respectively (no interior created though, it's just exteriors but you can see examples of it here: http://www.lostspires.com/pages/images.htm - just check out the shots that are: 2nd from top on the right and 4th from bottom in the middle)
  • HIST SHRINE TILESET - Hist Shrine (as-yet-unnamed) -4,27 (no interior created though as we are considering our options on how to handle the development of this interior tileset considering SG's busy RL schedule)
  • MANGROVE ROCK TILESET - An as-yet-unused tileset by Sachiel that is planned for use mainly as a location for housing the live rootworms. One model derived from this set is used as the main interior model for both Tenmar Wall (see TenmarwallCave -14,17) and Glok-Chuba (see GlokChuba -6,18)
Regarding boss battle music: I'd go for this once we've got quests sorted. Nevertheless, you will see various creatures such as 'CreatureBMFearKing', CreatureBMMantis variations, tarantulas, were-crocs, caiman and Argon Giants that will all serve as excellent boss options. We can always create 'uber-monsters' for quests...
Quote:Originally posted by Xaeaix
This is in part a reply to the PMs received from Koniption. Before I move on, The Saturnine Commons is now available for listening, though I may change the ending later on. In any case, that's it for the three cities. Alternatively, I could compose one night time piece for each city. Something long and largely ambient.

I've added a few lists and changed around some things in the OP. The lists are taken mostly from Kp's documents as well as a few threads around the forum. From what I can tell they represent the current best approximation of cells/regions that could benefit from their own music. Those who know more are invited to suggest fixes, of course.

Kp raised the point that different kinds of dungeons could have their own music. Since dungeon music, by virtue of being very ambient, is quite easy to compose, I'm open to this idea. If this sounds like a good idea to the team all I need to go forward with it is a few suggestions of places to visit so that I can get the feel of them.

The same goes for Scorpion Pass and the two dimensions. I don't want any relatively unique cell to be stuck with the generic region music.

Lastly, do we have a need for boss battle music?

Hi Xae,

I sent you another PM linking you to "Part A" of the custom music downloads. I now think I should have sent it to you previously, but it just didn't register in my mind.

There are actually a few more cell types I pinpointed in Part A download.

Everything is preliminary category, so we'll have to pow wow about what "cell types" to include vs what is unnecessary. You can update your opening post if need be, after you read the Part A documents.

Koniption

EDIT: listening to The Saturnine Commons now... I really like it! Yup, time for me to download it and add it to my collection... Cool

EDIT #2: Can't download it from here: http://danielran.com/BMOST/index.php
I guess Xae hasn't uploaded it there yet. I'll wait and check again later.
Quote:Originally posted by Koniption

It's up now.
Quote:Originally posted by Xaeaix
Quote:Originally posted by Koniption

It's up now.

Ok, thanks!

KP
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23