Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Open jobs for modellers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
I've played like 4 hours (total) of a friend's copy of morrowind, and i remember those things being fairly common, so they should have some use outside tombs in dunmer towns. I haven't dared to go in a morrowind tomb yet, but i know i've seen them. Prehaps they could help light the redoran part of souluthis
Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
I've played like 4 hours (total) of a friend's copy of Morrowind, and I remember those things being fairly common, so they should have some use outside tombs in dunmer towns. I haven't dared to go in a Morrowind tomb yet, but I know i've seen them. Prehaps they could help light the redoran part of souluthis

That's not a bad idea, but the walls of Redoran buildings make it difficult to place anything on them with precision, especially torches who really has to be upright for the flames to look right. But they could work in Silgrad Tower (the city) if sandor happens to want to use them.
Being somewhat stalled on a geometry problem for the Dawnstar tileset, I decided to take a shot at "speed-modelling" the sconce. That is of course a relative term; I'm still slow as molasses and it still took me two hours Smile Some excuses already lined up:

- No collision,
- I missed those two branches, so they'll have to go on later,
- I see two particle emitters listed on the MW model; I have no idea how to do those.
- No canvas texture available in ST, so I grabbed one from hte art supply. Smile

Feel free to hammer away,
Steve
Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
- I see two particle emitters listed on the MW model; I have no idea how to do those.

The only way I know of is to piggyback the model on a fire model, like I did on meshes\ST\Lights\LightTorch01fire.nif. Fire seems unlike most other things. The closest I could liken it to is an animated sprite that is always facing the player. If you swivel the camera in NifSkope around my torch you can see how I mean; you're always looking straight at the fire no matter how you move.
SACarrow- the normals on that nif are looking like you have overlapping faces or detached verts.
Here's an issue with the velothi set- the pits have no way to make an outside corner (that i know of) If this is just something that never made it into the internal release, it'd be kinda nice to have...

Also, something to fix for the next release, there are .nif files that never made it into the CS. In my experience with the velothi set, neither the velothi altar, nor just a plain wall (1 piece) nor wall decorations, made it into the CS. there's just .nif files that are lying around unused. I personally just add them in with whatever name i think they should have. (if there's something else i should do, let me know)
Here's an issue with the velothi set- the pits have no way to make an outside corner (that I know of) If this is just something that never made it into the internal release, it'd be kinda nice to have...

It's not likely the Velothi interior tileset will see much more work done on it, but then again I think it contains the necessities.

Also, something to fix for the next release, there are .nif files that never made it into the CS. In my experience with the velothi set, neither the velothi altar, nor just a plain wall (1 piece) nor wall decorations, made it into the CS. there's just .nif files that are lying around unused. I personally just add them in with whatever name I think they should have. (if there's something else I should do, let me know)

Sometimes I send nifs to modders asking them to hook it up in their claim and submit it together with their esp when they've finished their claim. It happens now and then that claims get abandoned and then just the orphaned nif survives when I compile my local assets for the next update/release. I think that's the case with the Velothi Shrines I made for Tal (meshes\ST\VelothiShrine01.nif). That didn't happen to the altar though, I don't know why I forgot to add it. The same is true with meshes\ST\TheAncientGate\VivecWE01.nif which I made at the same time.

The shrine should get a retexture and a script before it's really finished btw. It's meant to be an activator object.

You can add them in if you want. Don't hook up the bonemold armor though. Please use the same naming convention as others of their kind, and please let me know which ID's you give to what. That way I can hook them up with the same ID's in my update esp so we avoid doubled entries.
Here is one with collision and better UV mapping, though I'm not too happy with the mapping on the neck yet. Also a couple of pictures with the sconce on the outside wall of one of my Dawnstar model homes Smile with a small torch emitter placed at the head via the CS (not part of the model). Also added a little vertex movement to make the neck and head a little crooked.

Ghogiel: I don't see the effect you mention on the previous model, but I never placed that one in-game. There are hidden faces in the sense that some subelements like the neck have polys embedded in others (the base).

Later,
Steve
SACarrow: It looks better and better Smile I know it's a work-in-progress but I thought I should mention that it's a good idea to delete the faces the player will never see, the ones on the backside of the shapes. They can tally up quite a few faces and are easy to forget sometimes.

There's definitely something technically weird going on with the thick part of SconceNeck. I didn't see anything wrong in Max, but I got the same view as the image Ghogiel posted when I blanked out the textures in NifSkope. I've seen the same effect sometimes when I've imported a Morrowind nif into 3D Studio Max, although in those cases the effect was plainly visible in Max.

For testing purposes I added an Optimize modifier to both the SconceNeck and the base, and this is what happened:
[Image: th_OptimizeTestOnSconce.jpg]

All I can say is that ordinary models don't optimize in the way SconceNeck did, so there's definitely something wrong with it on a technical level. I wish I had more information than that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27